This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Kernel panic Not syncing?

kazemagic

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:40:57 am

Everytime I try to install zorin, on this pc that has nothing on it, it always shows this message:
Kernel Panic Not syncing attempted to kill init!
Panic occurred switching back to text console.

It just gets stuck there. I tried both booting from live CD and just starting an installer, always shows the same thing at the end.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Wolfman

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:44:52 am

Hi,

when you burnt the disk, did you do so at the slowest possible speed??, if you didn't; you will get read/write errors etc!!. This would lead to a faulty disk and a faulty install!!.

Re-burn the ISO if you didn't burn it at the slowest speed and try again!!. (A good argument for re-writeable disks!!)

Regards Wolfman :D

kazemagic

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:30:19 am

Kk thx Wolman. Will try that

kazemagic

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:41:39 am

Yep checked the MD5 sum, before burning.

After I burned it using x 1 speed... when I run Zorin installation, its always stuck on the loading Zorin thing...like the blue circle just keeps going on forever

IzayoiAki

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:34:05 am

Are you attempting the install on a laptop or desktop? If laptop, listen to the drive, if it seems to be struggling and you hear the same sounds over and over, you may have an incorrectly burned disc as suggested already. I got kernel panic a few times when trying to install Zorin to a very old laptop. It turned out to be a combination of a faulty burn due to a dirty lens, and another dirty lens in the machine I was trying to install to, so clean the lens of both the machines (the one you are burning the disc from and the one you want to install Zorin to.)

If you have another linux distro elsewhere (Ubuntu, Mint, or another Zorin), use Brasero or K3B to burn the ISO. With Brasero, you can enable plugins to verify the data is burned correctly by checksumming the source data and the burned data. With K3B, you can also verify the data burn. It takes longer to complete the burn process, because of the verification step but you at least know the disc is good. You can also try rewritables as suggested by Wolfman. I personally always use verification because if the data is bad, I don't want to find out the hard way such as through kernel panics or videos crashing out halfway through.

An alternative, if you have the ISO and the machine you are trying to install to supports booting from USB, you can use unetbootin to convert the ISO to a bootable USB stick and run the install from there. You wouldn't need to burn a disc at all then.