This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Upgrade wireless driver on Dell Vostro 1000

wesmass

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:34:55 am

I am using Dell (Vostro 1000) and Install Zorin OS5 (64bits) but it did not instal all of the drivers associated with the Dell.
How can I install Wireless Driver here?

madvinegar

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:46:12 am

If understand well you mean that the wireless internet does not work for your laptop, correct?

First of all, please advise if you have fully updated your system. Dell laptops work well with linux and usually after you update your system, all (or most) of the components work out of the box.

To update your system, plug an ethernet cable on your laptop, open terminal and give the following commands:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Reboot and hopefully your wireless will be working.

If not, open terminal and post here the outcome of the following commands:

Code:
lspci

Code:
sudo lshw -c network

Code:
rfkill list

madvinegar

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:58:21 am

Just to continue my first post, I have done a little research in the web for your laptop and I have seen that your wireless driver is BCM4311.

If this is indeed the case, (this can be double checked when you post the results of 'lspci'), after you fully update your system, and in case your wireless continues to be unfunctional, do the following:

1) plug an ethernet cable on your laptop to get internet.
2) Go to system>administration>additional drivers and DE-activate the recomended STA broadcom driver (if indeed it is enabled).
3) Reboot
4) Go to system>administration>synaptics package manager and mark for installation (and install) the following two packages:

Code:
b43-fwcutter
firmware-b43-installer

After the installation of these packages, your wireless should be working fine.

wesmass

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:23:45 pm

problems solved by your help, thanks

madvinegar

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:42:54 pm

Glad to hear that my friend!
I will mark the problem as solved.

(Swarf, you know the jewel-process...) :D