This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved] Long Term Support

gzepplin

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:40:56 pm

Dear All,
I am planning to install a TLS version and if I understood correctly I should wait until the next version is available, because the present version 3.2 will no longer be supported in from April 2013. Is this correct?

The next question is, will the new TLS version come with Gnome v3? I don't like Gnome v3, only v2. I quite like Mint MATE and perhaps Cinnamon, but have not installed that Window Manager yet, only saw some screenshots.

If the new TLS version comes with Gnome v3, what do you advise? I know this is a personal matter, but still I like to have other peoples opinion.

Thank you.

madvinegar

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:50:28 pm

The new release (Zorin 6) will be based on ubuntu 12.04 which is based on gnome3. So yes, the next zorin release will be based in gnome 3.
However, the devs advise that they will be using their own desktop environment called “Zorin Desktop” instead of the Unity, GNOME Shell and Cinnamon desktop environments to provide a familiar user interface with support for the Zorin Look Changer.

gzepplin

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:16:29 pm

Thank you for the answer.

In that case, it may be a good idea to install TLS v3.2 now and then upgrade to the new version in 2013. That will give me time to see/evaluate the Zorin Session and make a decision... Are there any screen-shots of what Zorin 6 will look like?

Incidentally, I forgot to mentioned that I first used Zorin 2.5 which I did not like but Zorin never left my PC since version 3. The only Linux distro I never replaced in my desktop. Thank you for the hard work.