This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

CD burning

yellow roses

Sat May 05, 2012 5:00:56 am

When I download the programs, they are all zipped, even though I pic "iso" online.

So when I use the burn program...which way should the other programs be put on the new DVD? I assume they have to be unzipped first, but then they show all these folders. Do I need to take everything out of all the folders and put it all together in one pile and burn it like that?

Reason I ask is because there is no "iso" on the end of the names.

Also, my mobo can take 8GB, but only "sees/uses" 4G under MS. Would linux be able to see and use the full 8GB?

Thanks!

Vista64x, 965 chipset
intel core 2 quad 6600 2.40GHz
4.00 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5670
Desktop, store assembled brand.

madvinegar

Sat May 05, 2012 6:29:45 am

Hi! Are you downloading the ultimate version orthe core version? If I understand well, the ultimate versions are zipped and you must pay to get the password to open the zipped file.
The core additions are not zipped and are plain .iso files. From were are you downloading them? Use the original zorin sources and try again. http://www.zorin-os.com/free.html

Mobo is the usb stick? I yes, probably you have created a hidden partition of 4gbs. Plug it in and use "disk utility" of zorin (system>administration>disk utility).
Unmount the usb stick, delete both the partitions and create an entire new one using all the space of the stick i.e. the 8gbs. Format it in FAT mode and then mount it again. It should be ok.

yellow roses

Sat May 05, 2012 7:55:01 am

Loading the free core version thru Firefox.

Will try again tomorrow, it's 3am here, thanks for the fast reply!

Mobo is motherboard. I don't have an empty usb stick, so can't use those, they have my good files. I was talking about RAM. The motherboard can hold 8G, but cannot use but only 4G due to x86/x32 architecture. I was wondering if Linux can use all of the 8G if i put it back on the motherboard because of the difference between Linux and MS. Just asking.

I was referring to programs in general....the other ones too that I need to burn. They download as a zip. When I unzip, they have no "iso" on their name.

I don't understand if I have to move everything out of the folders before burning to CD or if I can burn what is extracted "as is" from the zip file.

Thanks!

madvinegar

Sat May 05, 2012 6:22:19 pm

Sorry for the "mobo" misunderstanding... Swarf, I smiled as well with my slang-ignorance! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In order to be able to see more than 3gb of ram you have to either install the 64bit version or keep the 32bit and install the "pae" kernel.

To enable tha pae kernel open terminal and write

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-pae linux-headers-generic-pae

Then reboot and you will see that the kernel will have a "pae" in the end.

Ofcourse your CPU must be 64bit "ready" otherwise you will not see more than 4gb even with the pae kernel enabled.

madvinegar

Sat May 05, 2012 7:28:37 pm

pia, pae... no problem. As long as you do not post sopa-pipa we are ok! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wolfman

Sun May 06, 2012 4:23:51 am

Apentier

Fri May 25, 2012 12:21:22 pm

yellow roses wrote:The motherboard can hold 8G, but cannot use but only 4G due to x86/x32 architecture. I was wondering if Linux can use all of the 8G if i put it back on the motherboard because of the difference between Linux and MS. Just asking.

Why not to change to the x64 architecture?

Wolfman

Fri May 25, 2012 2:36:21 pm

Apentier wrote:
yellow roses wrote:The motherboard can hold 8G, but cannot use but only 4G due to x86/x32 architecture. I was wondering if Linux can use all of the 8G if i put it back on the motherboard because of the difference between Linux and MS. Just asking.

Why not to change to the x64 architecture?

There is no need if he uses the PAE kernel!!!!.

Regards Wolfman :D