This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing Zorin

linhans

Mon May 14, 2012 10:49:52 pm

I have been using Zorin for quite a while and I recently upgraded my desktop. I want to install Zorin but seem to be having problems with it seeing my sata drive. It is an older sata. I go into the live and try to install it and it won`t do it. What can I do to get it installed? I am relatively new to Linux and don`t know that much yet. Thanks for anything that can be done.

Wolfman

Tue May 15, 2012 7:06:07 am

Hi linhans,

you say that your SATA drive is old, are you sure it is a SATA drive and not IDE??. There should be no reason why Zorin won't install on a SATA drive unless it is damaged!!.

Do you have Windows on the drive??. Have you tried formatting the drive??. Do you intend only to use Zorin and erase Windows??. Did you boot in Safe Vesa Mode??.

Do not try and install until you are certain that the CD/DVD is working correctly, what version are you trying to install??.

When you burnt the CD, did you do so at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't, you will get read/write errors on the disk!!.

RSVP.

Regards Wolfman :D

linhans

Tue May 15, 2012 12:14:59 pm

It is a sata drive just an older one...I only want to install the newest version of Zorin...the disk seems to be working fine...I did burn the cd at low speed...when I try to install Zorin, I get a box that comes up saying no root file system is defined in the larger box allocate drive space. I don`t understand either as I have installed Zorin to 2 other systems with sata without a problem. I don`t know what safe vesa mode is. As I said, I am relatively new to Zorin. Thanks for answer and any help I can get. Is there any chance I need to install chipset drivers as gigabyte, the mobo mfr., told me I may have to do?

Wolfman

Tue May 15, 2012 2:24:17 pm

Hi linhans,

I don't know if you know anything about partitioning but you cannot install because you must allocate some disk space first; before the installer can proceed!!.

Safe vesa mode is using low graphics so it doesn't stress your system out, it is the second option in the installer list, like I said before, don't try and install before checking that it runs on your PC!!.

Take a look here for guides about partitioning and installing.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

It would be helpful if you can tell us whether you want to keep Window$ alongside Zorin or delete it!.

linhans

Tue May 15, 2012 3:43:02 pm

Do not want to run windows on machine. Just Zorin.

Wolfman

Tue May 15, 2012 6:01:07 pm

Hi linhans,

if that is the case, simply select "Erase disk and install" option and this will automatically create the partitions for you!!.

See How-To:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR HARD DISK. SO BACK IT UP!!!!.