This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Unable to select Install Hard Drive

TheBullDog

Tue May 22, 2012 5:59:42 am

Installation did not give me a choice of which hard drive to install Zorin 6 rc on. With other distros, I've generally seen a drop down menu in the upper right which allows me to select one drive or another. I have a sata drive and an ide drive in the same enclosure, and the install automatically selects the sata drive by default. I do not want to take any chance of overwriting the sata drive, and want to install on the ide drive instead. Having the choice would be a nice thing.

Wolfman

Tue May 22, 2012 6:16:32 am

Hi,

when the installer asks where you want to install, select "something else" and point the installer to your drive which is above the window which has your partitions listed, it will automatically select "sda" but you must change this to "sdb" which as you stated should be top right!!. Where it says, "Device for bootloader", make sure you still put the bootloader on sda!!!!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

TheBullDog

Mon May 28, 2012 8:50:59 am

Thanks Wolfman. That worked just fine (with a couple of tweaks). I reconfigured the desktop and put the IDE drive in a removable bay. It comes up as sda. The sata drive comes up as sdc. I selected "Something Else", configured sda with a swap file and / partition, and set to install the bootloader on sda. It installed just fine. Now I can use the one desktop to swap ide hard drives out for Zorin 3.2 LTS, Zorin 5, and Zorin 6 rc -- soon to be Zorin 6 (depending on which OS the family member encountering problems is using). You can close this problem out. Again, thanks.