This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing Zorin and Windows

MrHappyGoLucky12

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:49:56 am

I have Windows 7 on one partition on my hard drive. I have my documents on a second partition. I made a third partition for Zorin OS. Do I also need to make a root, home, and swap partition? If so, what sizes?

And can Windows and Zorin OS both share the "my documents" partition?

Are there step-by-step guides out there?

:?

MrHappyGoLucky12

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:21:50 pm

This shows my partitions.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1403/50065353.jpg

I'm lost when I get to the Zorin partition screen.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:49:26 pm

Hi,

you don't really have enough space to install any Linux OS, you should have 3 partitions, 1 root, 1 swap and 1 home.

root = 15 to 20GB
swap = double your RAM
home can be any size but I would say not less than 20GB

If you want to install Zorin you need to shrink your D: drive by 80 to100GB which will still leave you 26 or 46GB space on your D: drive and give you enough space for a Linux install.
I hope you understand what i mean!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

MrHappyGoLucky12

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:29:23 pm

This Web site says that 3 GB is the minimum requirement, so that's why I made it 6 (doubled it). I can make three partitions like you said: root = 15 GB, swap = 16 GB (double my RAM), and home = 20 GB. What format should they be? NTFS?

Is the root partition like the C drive in Windows? And is the home partition just used for storage, kind of like My Documents in Windows?

If I want to have Windows 7 and Zorin share the partition I keep all of my photos, documents, music, videos on, can that partition function as a home partition or is that not possible?

Wolfman

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:42:31 pm

Hi,

I would not use your D drive as home as it may cause a major headache, you need to create the 3 partitions like I suggested, not necessarily the sizes I mentioned.

Backup your data before you start on an external drive if you can in case you make a mistake!!. It is also important to defragment your D drive before you shrink it!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

MrHappyGoLucky12

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:00:47 pm

What format should they be? NTFS?

Auldyin

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:47:44 pm

Hi MrHappyGoLucky12

Have a look here --- http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/22/ho ... ntu-11-04/ --- I found it very useful.

And here is my HD setup you want something similar ---------

MyParts.jpg
MyParts.jpg (80.37 KiB)

The max swap should be 2 GB the double memory is from the old days when we all had 1/2 GB max memory.

Hope your still happygolucky after your done :? :? :?

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Auldyin

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:06:28 pm

Hi Again

This pict. shows where everything is on my HD ----------

MyParts2.jpg
MyParts2.jpg (43.79 KiB)

Hope this is easier to understand.

Cheers Auldyin

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Wolfman

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:59:44 am

MrHappyGoLucky12 wrote:This Web site says that 3 GB is the minimum requirement, so that's why I made it 6 (doubled it). I can make three partitions like you said: root = 15 GB, swap = 16 GB (double my RAM), and home = 20 GB. What format should they be? NTFS?

Is the root partition like the C drive in Windows? And is the home partition just used for storage, kind of like My Documents in Windows?

If I want to have Windows 7 and Zorin share the partition I keep all of my photos, documents, music, videos on, can that partition function as a home partition or is that not possible?

Hi,

I just want to make a point about the size of "Root", yes; there is always a minimal size required to install the system, you must bear in mind that that is for the "Base System" only, once installed, you will want to install some progs and these will also require disk space and the size of your root folder will grow according to how many more progs you install, there are for example some big packages with games and they can take up to 1GB space each!!.

Rergards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11:54 am

16gb of swap I believe is only waste of space. No matter how much ram you have, 3,5GB of Swap will do just fine.

Auldyin

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:59:27 am

"If I want to have Windows 7 and Zorin share the partition I keep all of my photos, documents, music, videos on, can that partition function as a home partition or is that not possible?"

No you cant use the Home partition for both systems because unfortunately Windows cant see Zorin partitions but fortunately Zorin can see ALL partitions so like me you can keep all your photos, documents, music, videos etc. on the partition you have already set for them

Ain't Zorin clever :idea: :idea: :idea:

Auldyin

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Auldyin

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:44:46 am

"To be fair, "Ain't GNU/Linux clever?!""

O.K. To be fair Yes.
BUT But Some GNU/Linux distros are "more cleverer" than others :!: :!:

Cheers Auldyin

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x