This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Binding Zorin to AD domain

rwood10

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45:11 pm

Hi there,

I have recently discovered the Zorin OS, I was wondering though if it is possible to bind it to a AD domain?

I should say, I don't really know Linux at all. The only experience of Linux I have had is when a windows OS has corrupted and I've had to use a live CD to retrieve files.

I would really appreciate some advise if anyone else has managed to do this.

Regards

Rob

Wolfman

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:17:17 am

rwood10

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:45:00 am

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, excuse the late reply but I had other stuff on the plate to sort out.

I successfully bound zorin with our AD domain. Though when I try to log in I have to type "domainname\domain username" in the user field, is there a way to enable it so I just have to use the username? I have tried the following command but it didn't work for some reason. The command executed correctly and didn't through up any errors but I still have to type the domainname before the user account.

sudo lwconfig assumeDefaultDomain true

Have you got any ideas?

Thanks again

Wolfman

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:26:55 am

Hi,

contained within the link I sent you is the following:

"If the Kerberos auth was valid, you should not get asked for a password. However, if you are not working as root and are instead using sudo to perform the necessary tasks, use the command sudo net ads join -U username and supply your password when prompted. Otherwise, you will be asked to authenticate as root@LAB.EXAMPLE.COM instead of a valid account name. You can also supply a password if you don't want to get prompted. Just use net ads join -U <username>%<password> for this. Maybe it's useful for unattended installations where you want to add machines to an AD automatically. ".

I don't do it myself, so all I can suggest is you read the link again!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

rwood10

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:51:19 am

Hi there,

I'm currently testing it on a netbook that used to have windows 7 starter on. I have wiped off the windows OS when I installed Zorin on it.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying wolfman, as I said I have had hardly any experience with linux before. I have attached a picture of the issue I'm having. It is when I'm trying to log on to the machine with a AD domain account, I don't want to have to type in the short domain name, as once I have got it working I want to roll it out to all my users. Not all of them are I.T literate so they will struggle if they have to do too much. Sorry for being annoying but as I said I really haven't had that much experience in Linux.

Thanks again

Photo 12-07-2012 09 40 03.jpg
Photo 12-07-2012 09 40 03.jpg (165.51 KiB)

Wolfman

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31:04 am

Hi Rob,

if you have "Auto Login" enabled, you won't have to put in the password each time, this is a general security failsafe to stop unwanted users accessing the system, if all your users are trusted, then select "Auto Login", that is really all I can suggest as I don't use networking myself!!.

rwood10

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40:55 am

Hi Wolfman,

Unfortunately I'm trying to get it working within a school, trusting teenage kids doesn't always go hand in hand I'm afraid. I'm sure some of the kids would be fine with it but then I'm sure that some of our other kids would abuse it. This is why I'm wanting to try and get it so everyone has to log in with their proper windows credentials, as well as without the domain name.

But thankyou for your help anyway, I shall browse some forums I guess and hope I find something.

Thanks again

rwood10

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:26:18 am

It would appear that it is the "winbind use default domain = true" command that I need to insert somewhere. I found others in simular situations to what I am in. But unfortunately the file locations they are saying to enter the command don't exist in the zorin OS I have on this netbook.

Just thought I would update the thread incase anyone else in the future runs into a simular issue.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:01:57 am

Hi Rob,

I know what you mean about trusting kids, I was an instructor with the army cadets many moons ago, you can try allowing them access without passwords, or give each member his/her own password and name, do not give them the root password and they cannot really do any damage!!. (Can they???????)