This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Problem with install (USB Install)

KArma25

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:13:42 pm

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/screenshotpdq.png/

USB install. Screenshot above shows where the install hangs. Tried on two different flash sticks and it still hangs. I have two operating systems Windows 7 and Jolicloud already. Something about a /cdrom unmounting appears at the start. The md5 sums match so its not a corrupt download. Its 32 bit iso.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:31:09 pm

Hi,

firstly create 3 partitions within the extended partition, root of about 15GB, swap can be 1GB or double your RAM if you prefer, use the rest of the space for your home partition, format the root and home with EXT4 format and swap will format itself so to speak.

Mount point for root is a forward slash /. for home it is /home, swap has no mount point.

When it comes to the part about where you want to install you should select "something else". (after you have created the partitions prior tio the install of course!!)

See this how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

Regards Wolfman :D

KArma25

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:05:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply but it is still hanging on detecting systems only now the blue bar is full. I left it nearly three hours and it still hasn't installed?

This is the way the partition looks now? I cant seem to change the mount point? Is that a problemhttp://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6311/screenshot1ezy.png

Wolfman

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:20:37 am

Hi,

it is remotely possible that the installer is not recognising the mount point of Windows, Swarf has pointed out that it states cdrom and I think you would have to edit that part by deleting it, my snapshot of my partitions shows that my Windows partitions have no mount point!!.
I think that the installer is searching for media within the CD drives and cannot find it!!.

-dev-sda - GParted_012.png
-dev-sda - GParted_012.png (120.02 KiB)

KArma25

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:19:17 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:And just to clarify - edit the partition and remove /cdrom - DON'T delete the partition! :D

How do I do that? I tried to unmount it but that doesn't work.
This code comes up in the terminal when i want to see what processes is using it? Can anybody make heads or tail of that?
Cannot stat file /proc/3251/fd/40: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/3251/fd/41: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/3274/fd/11: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/3274/fd/12: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/69: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/87: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/90: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/107: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/108: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/114: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/115: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/116: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/118: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/119: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/120: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/128: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/4010/fd/181: Stale NFS file handle

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/403/screenshotrcm.png/

Oh and my cd rom disk is broken cant read cd's don't know if that matters?

Wolfman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17:17 am

Hi,

I have had a look at my partitions again and I can find no way to edit the mount point like you have, I can really only suggest that you download a USB version of Windows and use your USB stick to completely re-install Windows and then do the same with Linux, either that or buy a new CD drive for your PC which might make things easier.

Basically I would reformat the entire drive and start from scratch after backing up all my data!!.

There is most likely an easier way but I am buggered if I know what it is, I can find no options in Gparted to make such a change!!. I can also find nothing like it on the net!!.

Your problem hangs (by the look of things) soley on that one small problem!!. :cry:

KArma25

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:17:00 am

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3393/screenshotuhl.png

The way it should be! Thanks for your help guys. I'm off to explore the OS.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:43:33 am

Hi,

glad to see you got it up and running, what did you do to fix the problem??.

KArma25

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:57:11 am

I did what you said and created a USB windows 7 disk and reformated the hard drive. Don't know how it happened it may have been my virtual drive software.