This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem installing Zorin 6 Ultimate x64

jkay6969

Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:30:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm a noob when it comes to Linux, I was drawn to the Zorin OS because it has the look and feel of Windows 7 to aid my transition to Linux.

I Donated my 10 Euro's and downloaded the image, I checked the Checksum as directed, I downloaded imgburn and burned the DVD at the lowest setting my drive was compatible with.

I then rebooted my PC and selected boot from USB-DVD as I have an external USB DVD Burner, an LG.

I selected to run the LIVE session. This seemed to work but then stopped after a few minutes on the Zorin loading screen, the white loading circles stopped spinning but nothing further happens. I left it like this for an hour to be sure.

I then selected the second option, Run the LIVE session with reduced graphics. This got further.
I was presented with a info panel explaining that reduced graphics were being used, I clicked OK and another info panel appeared with 4 options, one about configuring graphics (I tried the 2 options but they didn't help), the next option was to allow reduced graphics one time (this started a CLI session but I have no idea what to do there.

I also tried loading the installer and this gets to a gray screen with a white bar at the top of the screen with the network icon, the volume icon, in i icon and a power icon. A info panel for selecting the language appears with English selected but when I try to click Continue nothing happens, it's like my mouse buttons don't work as the continue button stays the same, and nothing else on the screen reacts to mouse clicks meaning I can't continue.

I have an intel core i7 920 on a Gigabyte x58-UD5, 6GB (3x2GB) OCZ RAM, nVidia GTX 580 GPU, On-board Audio, PCIe Asus USB3/SATA3 card, PCIe dual DTV tuner, Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3 SSD (Sandforce 2281), 3 Samsung HDD's (F3's)

I believe there is an issue with the Graphics card as one of the options I found was reading a log file and it states there is an issue with VESA, default selected or something.

Please could someone help me, I really want to try this OS as I really want to try out Linux and eventually break the shackles of windows.

Thank you all in advance.

JKay6969

jkay6969

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:37:21 pm

I have been chatting with @Garbee on IRC and he told me about VM's so I have installed one and have Zorin 6 Ultimate x64 running in a VM so it seems the DVD works fine.

Wolfman

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29:22 pm

Hi,

there is indeed a problem with Nvidia at the mo and a bug report has been filed!!.

I hope there will be a resolve to the problem soon.

Regards Wolfman :D

jkay6969

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:01:28 pm

That's it...Tough titty...you happened to buy a £350 nVidia card so you can't install Zorin?! Wow

That's a downer, I was really looking forward to trying out Linux...oh well Windows 7 will have to do... :-(

jkay6969

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:42:14 pm

Well it did turn out to be an issue with the nvidia graphics card drivers.

I tried Ubuntu Linux and had a similar issue but their install procedure allowed me to enable network access in the click which allowed me to download and install the nvidia drivers to allow the installation.

I must say I am quite disappointed with the lack of help here even though I paid a donation

Wolfman

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:32:36 pm

jkay6969 wrote:Well it did turn out to be an issue with the nvidia graphics card drivers.

I tried Ubuntu Linux and had a similar issue but their install procedure allowed me to enable network access in the click which allowed me to download and install the nvidia drivers to allow the installation.

I must say I am quite disappointed with the lack of help here even though I paid a donation

Hi,

please take a look here, this is a very recent post and until a few days ago, there wasn't a fix found:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2299

When you paid your donation, you should have also received a link for direct support, if you didn't receive one, you should contact the devs direct!!.

KaLaMar

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30:47 pm

Wolfman wrote:
jkay6969 wrote:Well it did turn out to be an issue with the nvidia graphics card drivers.

Hi,

please take a look here, this is a very recent post and until a few days ago, there wasn't a fix found:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2299

When you paid your donation, you should have also received a link for direct support, if you didn't receive one, you should contact the devs direct!!.

Looks like someone removed the topic. Would have been useful to me as I am having the same problem.

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:46:27 pm

KaLaMar wrote:
Wolfman wrote:

Hi,

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2299

Looks like someone removed the topic. Would have been useful to me as I am having the same problem.

Hi,

if you are having problems with Nvidia, please look here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

I don't know what the content of that missing link was now!!.

kengator

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:23:10 am

Since you donated to Zorin, you can contact the dev team directly: http://zorin-os.com/contacts.html. You just need the same email address that they sent the password to. I've contacted them several times and they've responded in less than one day. Perhaps they can provide a work-around for you. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Regards,

kengator