This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

grub does not get writen to boot sector

H Ray

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:18:50 pm

I have installed Zorin OS6 on sdb8. It didn't install grub in boot sector. I installed it on sda6. It still didn't install grub in boot sector. I have had other Debian based Linux versions do the same thing recently. The grub.cfg is apparently generated properly in the /boot/grub file.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

H Ray
hray@gvec.net

madvinegar

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:48:50 pm

When you make the installation of Zorin (either in parallel with other OS, or stand-alone etc) you must choose the 3rd option called "something else". In the window that will open, on the bottom you choose exactly where you want the grub menu to be installed. Check and verify that grub is been installed right were you wish.

H Ray

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:31:45 pm

madvinegar wrote:When you make the installation of Zorin (either in parallel with other OS, or stand-alone etc) you must choose the 3rd option called "something else". In the window that will open, on the bottom you choose exactly where you want the grub menu to be installed. Check and verify that grub is been installed right were you wish.

The option gives me the choice of where to install the OS and it installs where it is supposed to. The grub file is generated at the end of the install but doesn't give me a choice of writing the file to the boot sector. I have been able to work around the problem by reinstalling grub in another Linux instillation which detected the Zorin OS.

Thanks.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:28:35 am

Hi,

if you ever have problems with the boot mananger, try downloading and creating a "Boot Repair" disk, you can always keep it in reserve for future use:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

Regards Wolfman :D

H Ray

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:29:07 pm

Thanks. I'll give that a try.