This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) core 6, problem with nstallation

rene

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:16:38 am

After choosing "Erase disk and install Zorin" in "Installation Type" window, window just closing and nothing happens.
Trying to install it on laptop (Fujuitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro), HD is not formatted and partition is not divided.
I tried to set it up on manually divided/described partitions, with the same result.. but then maybe i didn't divide properly... ? hz..

Just before this i've installed Zorin 6 (x64) at desktop without any problems

Thanks to everyone for you suggestions!

Wolfman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51:07 am

Hi Rene,

if you intend only to use Zorin6 and nothing else, you can try try wiping the disk completely before you start using "Gparted".

did you start the Live disk in safe graphics mode??, have you tried the disk on other PC's and does it work??.

Did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't; you may well get read/write errors on the disk!!. You should reburn the disk if in doubt.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

For Gparted download:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php/index.php

Regards Wolfman :D

rene

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:06:17 am

Thank you for links and information!
Yes, it will be only linux, no other os. Now there are no partitions, just free space; does it mean that hd is completely wiped?
When i chose "Live in Safe Mode", it says "Your screen, graphics card and input device settings could not be detected correctly" and then it gives menu with few options, but i cant choose anything because mouse doesn't work.
I forgot to mention: i install from usb flash-drive.
Before, on this laptop, i've installed Zorin 5.2 without any problems.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:50:07 pm

Hi Rene,

your mouse won't work at the very start when the boot menu comes up, you must use the arrow keys to move the cursor up and down!!.

If you are having problems with a USB install, have you tried installing from DVD? which you should burn at the slowest speed.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:53:06 am

Hi Rene,

another thought is just type the command from the tab options "nomodeset" and see if this helps!!. (You should press the "Tab" key which will open a small menu)

rene

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:51:10 am

in that menu neither mouse nor keyboard is working...
ok, I tried "nomodeset" - same result. But at least i could see when it stops working: at the stage "Starting up the partitioner"
still didn't try boot DVD.. i'll do this within a few hours
I tried again install Zorin v.5.2 - installation goes smoothly without any problems..

Wolfman

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31:07 am

Hi Rene,

are you using a cordless mouse and keyboard??. If you are, they won't work (most likely) at that level and will only be recognised when the Pc boots further along if you are lucky!!.

rene

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:41:01 am

installation from DVD - same result :)
When i get to command line, through safe mode, how i can start installation?

Any other suggestions?

Wolfman

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:52:45 am

Hi,

there is an installer icon on the desktop!!.

You can also try booting directly into the installer from the boot menu.

did you burn the DVD at the slowest possible speed??.

rene

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:13:49 pm

i'v burned dvd on the slowest speed. Using flash-drive boot and boot from dvd, i tried both - direct installation and from Live.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:04:33 pm

Hi Rene,

well if you can boot Zorin 5 okay I can only imagine that you have a bad download and can now only recommend you download again from a different location to the one you used initially!.

Sorry but I am out of other suggestions, maybe another forum member can help you??.

rene

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:27:14 am

Thanks to everyone for suggestions!

ok, i'll try to check it with another download...

Out of curiosity, what this "pae kernel header" is responsible for?

madvinegar

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:02:31 am

The pae kernel is a kernel that enables 32bit systems to read more than 4GB of ram. (In the past this was only obtainable by 64bit systems).

rene

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:02:31 am

SOLVED. I've just downloaded .iso from another mirror and now installation goes without any problems.

To be honest i didn't believe that it would help... Why? Same file size... and anyway, if .iso would be corrupted, i guess unetbtin wouldn't even "burn" it on flash-drive... can't imagine that there is some difference in code :)

Wolfman

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:04:50 am

Hi Rene,

glad to hear it :D :D :D

Please take a look at the post install guide which may help you too:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054