This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

speed and usb

glennquestions

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:42:51 pm

I have playing with Zorin 6 64bit core on a bootable usb with persistence and have run into an interesting problem. On a 4G usb Zorin loads to the menu in approx 1 minute. If I install on a larger usb everything gets slower. Boot time is 3 minutes to menu but approx 5 more minutes until the usb stops flashing. This seems a little counter intuitive. I am wondering whether this is some response to zram. Any thoughts or advice since having more room gives me more storage?
thanks

madvinegar

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:41:59 am

If I remember well, no matter how much storage you have on your USB flash drive, the persistence can only be around 3GB. So even if you use a 32GB flash drive, you will have the same (or almost the same) space of persitence with a 4GB flash drive.
On another note, you will also have to check what is the speed of your flash drive. Your 4GB flash drive may be a class 10 drive and this is why data can be read very fast (in comparison with your larger flash drive that might be i.e. a class 2).
Also, are you plugging the flash drives on a USB2 port or USB3 port? This plays role as well. Ofcourse your flashdrive must support higher speeds (as explained above).
What program are you using? Universal USB installer? (not that it matters. Just out of curiosity).

glennquestions

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:53:20 pm

Hi madvinegar, thanks for the reply. Working backwards through your questions I am using pendrivelinux to install the software which limits the persistence to 4 GB as far as I can tell and am using usb 2 in both cases and both usbs are DataTraveler. I only just discovered that there is finally a coding system for flash drives to indicate speed, information that I have found hard to get in the past. However, while my 8 GB is new, I had similar results on an older 8 GB from a different mfg. [That doesn't mean that both 8 gigs aren't slower, simply that the earlier one was manufacturered before the coding system was common. The salesman recommended it over several more common brands at the same price because he said it was faster.] So, the only variables as far as I can tell are the size of the usb [and possibly the speed though I have taken some steps to eliminate that]

glennquestions

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:28:38 pm

Hi Madvinegar
your original premise was correct. I reluctantly took Mint off my only other 8GB stick. [Reluctant because the installation is such a slow process and I have been through it many times] I put Zorin on the older stick and it ran fine. Load time approx 90 sec and usable at that point. I have relegated the slower usb to holding portable apps which I can run inside Zorin without using up the limited space and on my other machines and other OSs. Thanks for the clear thinking.

madvinegar

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09:26 pm

No problem my friend. Glad I helped.