This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Issue Upgrading from Zorin 5 to 6

TBomb

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:54:43 pm

Hi:

I have created a DVD from an iso (downloaded with Firefox and burnt at 1.0x) to install Zorin 6 Core 32. The computer is currently running Zorin 5 with no other OS on the hard drive.

The disk boots, I get the 5 options to choose from, however regardless of which option I choose it appears to crash. I only see three rows of black dots along the top of the screen.

While a novice on Linux distributions, I have read that I will need to run the live version then go to Gparted to delete the ext4 and linux swap partitions. I can not get to this step.

My data is backed up so I can start over on this disk if necessary, except the the Zorin 6 on the DVD continues to crash. Zorin 5 on the HD still works.

Thanks in advance for your help
-Ken-

TBomb

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:12:10 pm

It is a Dell Inspiron 700M with Intel Graphics card. Zorin 5 worked fine, should I not bother with the upgrade to 6?

Wolfman

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:26:22 am

Hi,

another link about setting "nomodset":

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-ub ... artup.html

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:45:04 am

Hi Ken,

another question is did you burn the DVD at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't; you may well get read/write errors on the disk, always burn ISO's at the slowest possible speed.

TBomb

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:46:36 pm

Wolfman;

Yes I did burn at 1.0x the second time. I did this after reading somewhere else in this forum to do that. The second time the disk was downloaded with Firefox, the first with Chrome.

I doubt the Intel graphics is a problem as Zorin version 5 worked. I am leaning towards the G-Parted then Zorin 6 install CD. I am not sure I understand the Nomodset solution suggestion in the thread.

Ken

Thanks.

frits

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:17:54 pm

Better to do a fresh install. Save your docs etc to an USB and copy them later back again.
If you use Firefox it is easy to make a back-up of your bookmarks on a USB as well and import them from your fresh install again.

Have fun with 6!

Wolfman

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:10:25 am

TBomb wrote:Wolfman;

Yes I did burn at 1.0x the second time. I did this after reading somewhere else in this forum to do that. The second time the disk was downloaded with Firefox, the first with Chrome.

I doubt the Intel graphics is a problem as Zorin version 5 worked. I am leaning towards the G-Parted then Zorin 6 install CD. I am not sure I understand the Nomodset solution suggestion in the thread.

Ken

Thanks.

Hi Ken,

well let us know if you have further problems and did you try the 2nd option in the live CD boot menu. "Safe graphics mode" ??.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:24:09 am

Hi Ken,

another thought on this is that you are not trying to encrypt the home folder during install are you??, you shouldn't as that can also hang the system!!.

TBomb

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:48:38 pm

I never get the chance to install or do any encryption. After making a choice at the first screen the installer crashes.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:25:47 am

Hi Ken,

I fear that Zorin 6 (Ubuntu 12.04) is possibly too heavy for your rig!!??.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2496

Advice is to start the installer directly an not live mode which will use less RAM and may be better for your rig!. I cannot say whether or not you will be successful and you may trash your rig completely!!.

I have no other suggestions sorry!.

TBomb

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00:20 pm

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I have my data backed up. I tried to "Start the Installer directly" The same thing happens. The computer locks up with the row of dots on the top of the screen. It sounds like I should stick with version 5 or try the Gparted solution.

When you say trash completely do you mean the install or the actual hard drive. If this were to happen could I start over then install version 5 again?

Wolfman

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:30:04 pm

Hi Ken,

you can try using Gparted but if it isn't booting in live mode you won't be able to install it anyway!!, the other option is the "nomodset" thingy:

Quote:

* At install screen press F6 and select nomodeset and install Ubuntu as usual.
* On first boot after install, press e on getting the GRUB bootloader.
* Using arrow keys navigate to and delete quiet and splash and type the word nomodeset in their place
* Press Ctrl and X to boot
* You should now be able to login to your Ubuntu as usual

End Quote:

Read this thread through:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-ub ... artup.html