This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 6/Mint 13 install questions

flyboy129

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54:27 pm

Hello all. I am taking a big dive. I am about to start on my first Computer build, and I'm not installing windows!! I have read reviews, checked youtube, etc, and am still torn between which to choose; Zorin 6 or Linux mint 13 mate. So, I would like to try them both. I am planning on installing a 1TB drive and would like to divide. It between both OS's. I have read on here that Zorin automatically partitions on a new install. So, am I correct that I should install that first, then mint? I apologize if I have overlooked a thread this question was answered in. I am very new to all of this and the terminology can be confusing, so any help is appreciated. Thanks

Wolfman

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:57:15 pm

Hi,

what you can do is to pre-partition your drive using a patitioning tool called Gparted, you only need one swap partition for your drive for both Zorin and Mint,

For each of the OS'es; you need 1 root ( / forward slash is the mount point for root) and 1 home partition. (/home is the mount point for home) Swap does not need a mount point.

Swap should be double the size of your RAM, for root, I recommend at least 20GB for Zorin and Mint, your home partitions shouldn't be less than 40 gb.

For root and home partitions, choose the EXT4 format.

You can read about partitioning here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

read the top link first. The other links give you an idea how to install Ubuntu based systems.

You can automate the install with one of the OS'es and tell it to use the whole drive but you will still have to learn how to make your partitions for the 2nd OS.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Swarfs how-to has a few tips but is intended for installing along Windows.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1658

Regards Wolfman :D

flyboy129

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:46:56 pm

Okay. Read the article. Will probably have to go over it a few more times. So tell me if I am following correctly. First, I will create an extended partition(primary) large enough to hold the four sub partitions(logical); two roots with at least 20GB each, two homes with at least 40 GB each; both ext4. One swap for both, double the size of whatever amount of ram I install. Do I need to download gparted onto a cd or dvd, or do the live versions of zorin/mint already have it installed for use during installation? Thank you so much for your help. I will probably have many more questions. I am excited to try this for the first time! :)

Wolfman

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:00:07 am

Hi,

it is worth downloading and creating a CD with PartedMagic which is a great tool and does have "Gparted" as well as other tools included, you seem to have grasped the basics about partitioning, so go here and look at a few vids before you fully commit so you get a better idea of what to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMW_p_9cAH4

There are several links to the right, so check out a few of them!.

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

They also have some vid links!!.

flyboy129

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08:50 am

Okay, I feel pretty good about using Gparted. My next query is concerning the mount points. How do I attach the / and the /home to the appropriate partition? Is that in the gparted software as well? I have read different articles, but am still unsure on the concept. UPDATE* Did some searching on this forum. Found a post where it was stated that during the install process, I would choose the "choose something else" option when prompted, and install the OS manually into the selected partitions. Am I correct in my understanding of this?Also, after these tasks are done, does this automatically enable me to choose the operating system I want to run upon startup? Or, do I set that when I install the operating systems? Thank you again for your help in answering a newbie's questions.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:55:50 pm

Hi,

the mount points are used during the actual install process and not during formatting with Gparted, here is a link with some pics about "Something Else"

http://imgur.com/a/rw1r2/all#0

Once you have installed the OS and you install the 2nd OS, the boot manager (GRUB) will automatically include both Ubuntu based versions in its list for you to choose from.

flyboy129

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:08:22 am

Okay. Hope to order my motherboard, cpu, and hard drive this weekend. Since I am at the mercy of using someone else's computer, I am unsure of being able to burn a dvd to use to load my first OS. Probably gonna be Zorin 6. Any tips for doing a usb install that isn't outlined on the main download page? I know how picky the dvd burn and install is, what about using the sticks? My case has 2.0 ports. I don't know if that speed is set to the plugs themselves or determined by the new motherboard which is 3.0 capable. So, will 8GB be large enough? What speed usb stick? Feel welcome to school me. Thank you.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:29:59 am

Hi FB,

firstly, here is a how-to I have re-done for dual boot partitioning which may give you a better idea about partitioning:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

There are other useful links there too.

If you are buying a new board with USB 3 support, you can buy a USB 3 stick which would make sense, I would get a stick with at least 16GB so you have room to play around with. Even if you have a USB 2 stick under USB 3, it will still run; just slower!!.

Installing via USB can be done using "Pen Drive":

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/cre ... on-windows

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

flyboy129

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:42:17 am

Okay. I'm a little confused. The swap is supposed to be twice the size of ram, but not larger than 4GB? I was planning on installing 8GB in my build.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:51:28 am

Hi,

a max of 4GB RAM is enough, it will most likely never get used anyway with 8GB RAM already installed.

flyboy129

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:43:28 pm

Okay. Waiting on parts to get here. Asus F1A75V-Pro mobo with an AMD quad core A8-3870K 3 GHz apu. I have been researching drivers. The only thing I can find is a guy running ubuntu and windows. Ubuntu loaded perfectly installing the necessary drivers automatically. It was windows that had the problems. Since both of my choices are ubuntu based, should I be concerned with finding drivers, or not have much to worry about? Thanks again.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:23:51 am

Hi,

my only tip here is to run the live CD and make sure that you have:

1. Internet both wireles and wired (Network cable)
2. Assuming the internet is working, playback something with sound using "Flashplayer" to make sure you have sound.
3. Connect your printer and make sure that you see the message about your printer has been identified. (HP printers are very well supported by Linux!)

Do want to play games under Linux??.
Do you need 3D support??.

flyboy129

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:32:16 am

Probably will not be gaming much. (Did notice a flight simulator that piques my interest). Will have a wired connection. Don't think I'll be doing wireless. Have speakers. Don't have a printer yet. (Not enough $$ now). Can that be added later?

Wolfman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34:37 pm

Hi,

the printer can be added anytime, if it is fairly new, it shouldn't present a problem.

HP printers are well supported, just remember to install the package "hplip-gui" after the printer has been installed. (HP printers only)

flyboy129

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:41:47 pm

Okay, update. Downloaded gparted to cd and partitioned drive flawlessly. Today I used firefox and downloaded zorin 6. I used unetbootin and sent it in its intact iso form to my sandisk 16GB usb stick. I downloaded from the zorin homepage. The 64 bit version. My usb stick had a few sandisk things on it from the factory, so I moved them to a folder on the computer I downloaded from. Set the bios to boot from usb on my computer. The screen just shows a blinking cursor but nothing happens. How long should it take before I see something? It is a usb 2.0. Did I miss something? Thanks.
UPDATEo went into bios and noticed a boot menu icon. Even though I had placed the usb as 1st, it had labled it as a hard drive. After going to the actual boot menu, it also had it as a usb drive. Pulled it up, unetbootin started. No worries :)

Wolfman

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:41:13 am

Hi,

glad to hear it, can we mark this as solved??.

flyboy129

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:32:24 pm

Okay, as of right now, I am using the new Zorin 6 OS and on the internet. I just installed it. :D So, it looks pretty much solved. One question remains. After I updated the OS, the link to all the extra downloadable applications disappeared from the toolbar. (can't remember what it was called)
I am unable to find it anywhere. Other than that, I am good to go. Anymore questions will be posted in a new thread. Thank you so much.
UPDATE: this is so much better than windows! Googled my problem and finally discovered the right sudo command for the terminal. Getting something reinstalled has never been easier. Definately solved!

Wolfman

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:28:31 am

Hi,

glad to hear it, here are a couple of links for you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Have marked as solved :D