This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Installation Errors for Zorin OS 6 Ultimate

gcoulthard

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:40:18 pm

Finished evaluating Zorin 6 Core, which ran relatively well in a virtual machine, so I decided to take the plunge and purchase Zorin 6 Ultimate. Downloaded the iso, checked the MD5, prepped the boot disk(s), and started my install. Unfortunately, I get file/disk read/write errors about 75% through the "copying files" process. So, I've read the forum boards and tried the following:

1. Used the Universal USB Installer 1.9.0.5, but same error.
2. Used the YUMI 0.0.6.5 USB installer, but same error.
3. Burned DVD using slowest speed possible, but same error.
4. Booted live using various options, works fine -- but same error after trying to install from live.

My machine is a Shuttle SG41J4 with E6700 CPU, 4GB RAM, AMD/ATI HD5450 graphics card, and a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive. I have Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Unity, and Netrunner 4.2 KDE currently installed and working great with a multi-boot. I am a relative novice to Linux, but have installed over 20+ distros (including Zorin 5.2 Ultimate) on three different computers over the past 4 months. This is the first "installation error" that I've received on this or any of my machines.

Any suggestions?
-- Thanks, Glen

Wolfman

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:11:57 pm

Hi Glen,

did you use Firefox to download the ISO????, I ask because it states clearly that only firefox should be used.

Did you test the live CD out before trying to install??, did you try the 2nd option in the boot menu which is "Safe Mode" ????.

Regards Wolfman :D

gcoulthard

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:29:00 pm

Yes, I used Firefox 14 to download the iso and tested the live CD (under safe mode, as well). Everything works beautifully. For some reason, it appears that Zorin believes my hard disk is at fault -- although the drive is less than a year old and I'm running four other operating systems smoothly.

Here are the error pngs:
- http://citprojects.com/images/zorin6-screenshot1.png
- http://citprojects.com/images/zorin6-screenshot2.png

Wolfman

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:51:23 pm

Hi Glen,

what format did you use for the install??, you should be using ext4 for root and home, are you trying to install without formating the partitions??.

The message you are getting seems to point to bad disks or a faulty burner, do you have another PC where you can burn the ISO again??.

gcoulthard

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:12:05 pm

Thanks for your inquiry -- my Windows installations are primary and my Linux installations were on logical EXT4 formatted partitions.

Anyway, I believe that I have solved the issue (perhaps temporarily, but all seems good at this point.) I decided to install Zorin as the first Linux distro in my chain of Ubuntu 12.04 and Netrunner 4.2. It seems that Zorin likes to be the first Linux distro on a disk, as it installed fine and without any errors or warnings. (I had remembered a few months back that OpenSUSE 12.1 had a similar requirement on this machine.) Anyway, I'm working once again with a multiboot system and Zorin seems to be behaving admirably. Strange why the location on a partition should matter, given that I make sure that no OSes appear after the mid-point on a hard disk (e.g., all within the first 200GB of a 500GB drive). But all is well now.

Thanks for all of your help,
Glen

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:59:08 am

Glad to hear it Glenn :D :D

Have marked as solved.