This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

installation problem zorin 6 core

maxmick69

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:54:56 am

I am new to this forum but not new to linux or windows..
I have a issue with zorin 6 core and not lite .
When i try to install core on all of my pcs i cant get past the first splash screen regardless of type of install chosen..
All the pcs have a lot more than the required minimum..
I am writing this using the pc i wanted zorin core on but had to use windows instead .
The spec of this pc is below.
Toshiba satellite pro L10
Pentium 4 1600mhz
1 gig ram
intel 855 chipset
intel 852/855 graphics
160 gig hard drive
dvdrw
I have other pcs which will not get past the boot splash all with different but very much higher specs..
1 tower is a non branded build with p4 2.8ghz and 3 gig ram and 2 500gig drives the others are round about the same what gives....
I know how to burn an iso and thought it may have been the speed at which i burned the distro and tried various speeds and other brands of disks even doing the whole proccess on other pcs ..
I know for a fact it is nothing to do with my way of burning the image as i am able to download and burn any other distro from anyone else and they all boot regardless of speed or brand of media in all the pcs but i want zorin core before i even attempt to donate but it looks like zorin should be donating to me as it has cost me time effort and money for blank media i dont want to go to ubuntu because of unity and dont want windows either even tho i have used it from day one..mick

Wolfman

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:44:28 pm

Hi Mick,

have you tried the 2nd option in the boot menu which is safe graphics mode??.

Have you tried the "nomodeset" option??:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2758&p=12478&hilit=nomodeset#p12478

And/or:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootParameters

Regards Wolfman :D

maxmick69

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:29:55 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Mick,

have you tried the 2nd option in the boot menu which is safe graphics mode??.

Have you tried the "nomodeset" option??:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2758&p=12478&hilit=nomodeset#p12478

And/or:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootParameters

Hi wolfman
If you read my original post you will see i did state i tried all ways of installing zorin core altho zorin lite does install..
I had some battle hardend linux geeks try it and they too had a nightmare trying i have used just about every distro you can possibly imagine and had many years experience burning iso and in general terms my name is passed around glasgow as being one of the first if not the first to have a writer when it was single speed .
On thier experience they state the issue is in when zorin rushed jumping from 11.04 to 12.04 as thier base to allow for unity and they did show what they meant altho it did go over my head a little please dont quote me as im still windows based and very sorry to be....
Zorin is what everyone really wants if they want to stick it to windblows or as they say in glasgow (windaes) pronounced wind-days...
Microsoft is well over due being kicked to the kerb as thier monopoly is well and truly over but zorin need to deal with thier flagship distro core and maybe follow suit like 99% of other distros and be free as this is still open source ...
Unity is dead before it even gets off the ground stick with gnome all my linux geek mates state that regardless of the so called public hype i have yet to meet a unity user thats anymore than 50% happy
thanks anyway wolfman i will just wait till the next core and hope for the best as it has cost me far too much money ,cds ,dvds ,time and phone calls texts etc....out of 9 pcs only 2 can get it installed and only one seems to run half decent but every distro from ubuntu 7.04 to 12.04 all work also fedora ,linux mint ,open suse etc and the best is pclinuxos..
thanks loads

maxmick69

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:53:43 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:You also mention that it is a Laptop - does it have a hidden partition at the start of the drive? These can prevent GNU/Linux seeing the start of a drive properly (it can't find C:\ - even though the Windows OS does - that is because it is installe!). Also, have you tried the discs (DVD's) live before installing?

Hi swarfendor
I did try with a clean install and safe install etc
I even tried booting from ubuntu to wipe and prepair the partition using gparted then retried with zorin core but nadda..
I retried using zorin lite which does install and work amazingly but it seems core does have issues of compatibility each time i tried zorin core it was either downloaded from a different pc on different media and burned at different speeds checking md5 etc as i have done this before as it is too late to convert me...
As stated to wolfman on my other post 9 pcs were used and a total of 19 copies have been downloaded burned and tried from different brands and speeds and pcs all with the same result on 7 of the 9 pcs all 19 disks have been tested to boot and intall only on these two pcs and the irony is that they are intel based and the others are amd ,nvidia ,via and nasty sis all other distros have little or no problems installing using our same tried and tested methods all bases are covered we have been doing this for years long before zorin came about hope this helps zorin understand and release a full free distro ..
Also before i go all this trial and error stuff is because we are looking for a modern alternative which can be made to look like windows for a local underfunded primary school and community centres that have old donated pcs that do work on windows the school have 5 pcs on edubuntu there are 11 pcs and they need to modernise thier operating system as the other 6 have either registerd xp or vista and they are becoming costly to service..
There has been a budget allocated but all the funds were suggested to go to hardware and we could opt for a free linux distro as they are happy with edubuntu ..
But the education staff have a gap to fill for older kids as edubuntu seems to interest most below the age of 8
hope this helps
mick

Wolfman

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25:53 am

Hi Mick,

sorry you are having so much trouble but you chaps from Glas-gee are tough :D :D :D . (Some of my best friends are from there!!)

Have you tried Zorin 5 core, I know you said you had Zorin Lite which works!!.

One other alternative for you is either Kubuntu or Netrunner which both look Windows (ish)

How old are all those PC's??.

Auldyin

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44:44 pm

Hallowrerhowsitgawin maxmick69

I agree with Wolfman try Zorin 5.2 in my opinion its the best linux distro ever. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Save the planet burn to USB sticks not plastic it's cheaper in the long run. Iv'e got 5 distros on one 8GB USB stick and am about to add another one.This can be done in linux using Multisystem or in windys using http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator . :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

CheersfraBlanyr Auldyin

8-) :roll: :) :D 8-)

maxmick69

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:42:29 pm

Hi guys :D

Just to say thanks for all your time and effort i have tried other distros as i well stated especially kubuntu xubuntu edubuntu all flavors of ubuntu and fedora red hat etc etc etc..

But as stated all this trial and error was for one thing trying to get an up to date distro that looks like windows as that was the deal struck with the schools and community centers..
The distro has to be stable and up to date thats paramount we cannot use version 5 or 5.2 even if it does work as stated support runs out shortly and we cannot be in and out of schools having to replace the os every six months we need a long term soloution..

We geeks in glasgow are battle hardend with big hearts for the kids but there is a time limit and a common sense element involved here before we had help from canonicle/ubuntu before concening help for the schools and we piloted a local incentive to save the planet by using donated pcs that where to have ubuntu 10.04 all the way up to 11.04 all the saved money went in to paying the electricity and buying printers and ink etc..

This year we still have to use the same hardware and have to opt for a replacement distro hence zorin 6 and any money left over is to go in to a solar panel system that is to receive partial funding from the government...
If anyone was wondering why we didnt continue to use ubuntu 12.04 is its because of Unity no one fully liked it and that came from everyone from our youngest kid at 5 my daughter all the way up to our eldest and best engineer who is a spritely 77 there are ways to change it to gnome etc but it made the os strange and kids started complaining so for a time we had to use the old system...
We have to follow government education rules concerning software and have to demonstrate anything outwith microsoft or apple to be as stable and user friendly but we are doing this for people who dont understand the truth...
So i am asking zorin to please get it right as when we were waiting for core 6 we thought it would be easy but it wasnt hope zorin can get it toghether soon and launch the full version for free download so we can trial it and once passed we have to order a proper zorin cd/dvd copies anyway as thats policy
Thanks again guys
MIck

maxmick69

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02:27 pm

Auldyin wrote:Hallowrerhowsitgawin maxmick69

I agree with Wolfman try Zorin 5.2 in my opinion its the best linux distro ever. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Save the planet burn to USB sticks not plastic it's cheaper in the long run. Iv'e got 5 distros on one 8GB USB stick and am about to add another one.This can be done in linux using Multisystem or in windys using http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator . :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

CheersfraBlanyr Auldyin

Sorry guys we are not allowed to use pendrives it is policy in schools when trialing new software or transfering data the rules are real tight we have to follow a proofing method to allow for efficiant on site maintenance thats why we use write once disks etc if they fail they can be distroyed non failed are stored once proofing has finished we order a batch of proper original disks from whoever passes and the last two years it has been canonical hands down until the big mistake otherwise known as Unity and that put the mauchers (mockers) on that....
mick
8-) :roll: :) :D 8-)

Auldyin

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:45:10 pm

Hi Chris

Have you tried this one http://kiwilinux.org/en/ it's a new one to me.

"The latest release, Kiwi Linux 12.08 is based on Ubuntu 12.04.1. Differences from it include :

Gnome Classic instead of Unity
All languages but de,en,hu,ro removed
Chromium, Pidgin and VLC replace Firefox Empathy and Totem
No mail client included but the desktop-webmail helper
Flash, audio and video codecs for restricted formats
p7zip, unrar for better interop with Windows users' archive files
Kiwi Linux is built from the official Ubuntu and the Kiwi Linux PPA in Launchpad"

I tried it out today on a usb stick very fast and stable looks like old fashioned Ubuntu.

Cheers Auldyin

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

maxmick69

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:01:04 am

Hi guys
I last posted about issues concerning Zorin core but not lite as said before we in glasgow have to find a workable distro before ordering an original factory disk from zorin..
The rules are.

1 the distrobution must install on all donated pcs..
2 once the proofing part has been completed then the schools and community centers will order proper cds/dvds from zorin but not before...

Pendrive or memory sticks are not allowed due to there being a sensitivity and security issue as we are all working with kids voluntarally all cds and dvds are downloaded burned and installed at the centers and schools then stored if working or instantly destroyed if not on the premises by the admin or head of staff due to strict proofing methods agreed upon at the first meeting.

As requested before we need a working fully installable version 6 or above core to install in all 19 computers not 2 computers as stated in my previous posts till now we have demonstrated successfully zorin lite on all computers but core on only 2 computers.
All the voluntary engineers with many years of experience are now considering alternatives if we are unable to have the highest version of zorin and not any version below 6 as the whole idea during our first meeting was to replace windows xp and vista with the highest most recent release of a linux distro that most resembles windows enviroment with no excuses as we had to prove the worth of linux against windows to prove a point to save money by reusing old donated pc equipment..
If we cannot make proper progress by january 28th all funding is to be cut and the pcs removed and this will lead to 3 already running community centers losing out with two others also losing out who were watching our progress to take on board the same ideas and wont be able to receive funding either even tho they too have 8 pcs with more computers to be donated from 4 local businesses
To finalise what needs to be done as well stated we have to purchase an original cd/dvd for each pc after proofing as the set rules are overlapped due to nasty windows product key requirements we are tied to that rule even tho by rights it should not apply to a linux distro..(the admin are stuck in the past)
We cannot purchase till proofing is complete so we are trying out two other competitors just now and wont give up till we are forced by the commity to give up...
Hope theres a turn around real soon as i had my hopes on Zorin and put my reputation and time also money on the line as i am lead engineer on the project which originally was my idea now everyone is looking at me for a rapid solution..
Please help
Michael

maxmick69

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:22:15 am

Also to point out we will not be allowed to roll or create our own spin/distro under any circumstances the cds/dvd must be original factory from zorin directly after we have passed all proofing .
zorin lite even tho it works is out due to only the choice of two windows desktops none look like vista/windows7 as the kids require...
The commity require that the distro be replaced every year using factor disks with extremely minimal outlay with no exceptions...
If unable to do this then the whole idea of linux on older computers is a falicy whereas zorin only having a 5% compatibilty across all the donated equipment some with pentium 4 and also amd athlons cpus and multiple chipsets the lowest ram being 1 gig
all flavours of ubuntu 100% all spins and flavours compatible over all pcs especially edubuntu
linuxmint 100%
pclinux 95%
fedora 14 /15 /16 and 17 95%
puppy 70%
vector 70%
we mad engineers did all these installs just to prove a point even tho zorin has the look we want it definately needs work done on all levels of its compatibility i never came across any other distro in the past 10 years that was so specific not a good idea is it....