This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Will not boot, run, or install

jldotso

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:24:57 pm

I have downloaded several of your distro's and I cannot get them to run ( I have used firefox and ie to connect to the net) no matter what I use virtual clone drive, windows virtual control panel and nothing seems to work. I like your software but cannot get it to install on my toshiba m45-s165 system any suggestions? if not I do not know May have to try another distro from another if I can find one I like this well. I cannot figure out why it will not run or the ones that will run will not install they just freeze up. Could someone please help with this issue?

Wolfman

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:00:18 pm

Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed??, if you didn't, reburn it.

Have you tried the 2nd option in the boot menu if the disk does show the menu at all??.

What are the specs of your PC and are you doing a USB or disk install??.

Regards Wolfman :D

jldotso

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:46:25 pm

I have trie to boot from a disc was burnt at 2.4x and the disc will not boot looked at some other post and saw about pae and non-pae I think it was and tried the 5.2 which is non-pae and booted but would stall during detecting file system. the only way I was able to get the latest distro to boot was by unetbootin. it would also hang in the same place detecing file systems. I downloaded pclinux to see if it would work and it booted and installed fine so I am not sure what to make of it.

Hope this helps

Product Specification:
General Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN antenna
Width 14.2 in
Depth 10.6 in
Height 1.4 in
Weight 6.2 lbs
System Type Notebook
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Manufacturer Warranty 1 year warranty
Processor Processor Intel Celeron M 370 / 1.5 GHz
Features Streaming SIMD extensions 2, power-optimized processor system bus, Execute Disable Bit capability
Chipset Type ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Data Bus Speed 400 MHz
Cache Memory Type L2 cache
Installed Size 1 MB
RAM Installed Size 1 GB / 2 GB (max)
Technology DDR SDRAM - 333 MHz
Memory Specification Compliance PC2700
Storage Controller Type IDE
Storage Hard Drive 80 GB HDD / 5400 rpm
Optical Drive DVD±RW (+R DL) / DVD-RAM - fixed
Read Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
Rewrite Speed 10x (CD) / 4x (DVD±RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM)
Write Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 2.4x (DVD+R DL)
Optical Storage Type DVD±RW (+R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
Read Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
Write Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 2.4x (DVD+R DL)
Rewrite Speed 10x (CD) / 4x (DVD±RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM)
Networking Networking Network adapter
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
Compliant Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
Wireless LAN Supported Yes
Expansion / Connectivity Expansion Slot(s) 2 memory ¦ 1 (total) / 1 (free) x CardBus - type II
Interfaces 1 x modem - phone line - RJ-11 ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ¦ 1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x display / video - S-video output
Miscellaneous Features Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately), administrator password, power-on password
Compliant Standards Plug and Play, APM 1.2, ACPI 1.0b, VESA DPMS

jldotso

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:05:47 pm

I have tried the lite and core and none seem to work. I installeddistro PCLinux OS and it installed fine the only issue is the wireless but none the less it installed which leads me to wonder if it is something with the Zorin OS that does not like my computer. Thanks for the suggestions I have not given up on Zorin would rather have any linux than windows anyday. :D

jldotso

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:25:36 am

I am planning on usig a dual install system like the one Ihave here. The drive came wth the computer when it was purchsed.
hard drive screen shot.png
hard drive screen shot