This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual-boot Installation strategy, best hardware?

brainout

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:31:15 am

I just downloaded Zorin 6 Ultimate, and ordered Debian Squeeze. (Did so twice using Paypal under my real name, not the forum identity, but only downloaded one copy).

I also have a full, never-used, retail copy of Windows XP Professional. The only thing I don't yet have, is the computer I want to put it all on. Do you have any suggestions as to which models work best? I'm trying to minimize driver-finding hassles, especially for ATI and NVidia. Price is not an object. Best graphics cards, best processor, most RAMM, top of the line everything. I am not a gamer, but do make many HD videos in Youtube, so I need a high-end laptop or desktop. I know XP will not recognize more than 4GB, but I presume Linux will recognize all of it. So was thinking 8GB or more. Probably quad-core, for the video (as recommended by Camtasia).

So for dual booting, after reading the sticky on Installation, it seems best if I first install XP Professional, then its service packs, and then Debian -- which presumably will let me partition the drive at that point. The drive will ONLY contain the OS's. After Debian, I would superimpose Zorin Ultimate 6 atop it. Idea is to have all the packages Debian offers, since I have many older machines going all the way back to DOS 286's. Linux offers more compatibility, and so does XP. I will not upgrade to Win7. I'm hoping that by the time XP is no longer useable, I'll be on Linux alone.

If it matters, here's the intended computer usage. I do a lot of legal and accounting work so developed my own DOS Lotus 1-2-3 templates, which run my business. So that and merge wordprocessing are my key functions. The videomaking is a hobby. Most videos record the computer screen and are text heavy. Webcam videos are done as well, and some Movie-Maker-style vids. NO network, no wi-fi, not interested in that, even though I have the hardware to create it. I work alone.

So what computer should I buy to best work this way? I'm presuming my current HP 6400 workstation won't cut it, despite Intel Xeon quad core at 4GB upgradable to either 16GB or 32 GB, I forget which. (The other prime current candidate would be my Dell 8400, but it's quirky.) Frankly I'd rather just buy a new machine, be it netbook or laptop, or desktop. The Acer 8573-9627 and Dell 6530 are two laptops which are known to be compatible with Linux, and they have i7, but.. maybe something else is better. I love netbooks, but this first machine will be a workhorse in case my current two main machines tank.

Of course, if my idea on the installation process is wrong in some way, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me. Thank you for your time!

Wolfman

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:52:24 am

Hi,

there are too many variables for us to answer, buy the latest HP PC in my opinion, you can't really go wrong, that said, who knows if you won't have problems!!.

500GB drive
4GB RAM
Dual Core CPU
1GB HDMI Graphics card

Regards Wolfman :D

brainout

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:42:41 am

Thank you for replying!

brainout

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:04:45 am

swarfendor437 wrote:I have never purchased a branded PC - only a netbook (HP Mini). I am just in the process of building my 5th PC Build:

1. Case = CoolerMaster Silencio 650
2. PowerSupply = CoolerMaster Bronze modular power supply
3. Asus motherboard with PhenomII 2.7 GHz Processor (latency of single core 3.2 Ghz - 6-core processor with 6 Mb Cache - if you want to do serious video editing, it's all in the processor cache!) with 4 Gb DDR3 RAM, on-board Network socket and ATi (AMD) 3000 on-board graphics.

Now as you have XP, remember that support will expire before Zorin6!

I'm not worried about XP support expiring. :) Since I don't plan on building a PC myself, do you know of any sold that is like what you're saying here? I have a newly-repackaged HP 6400 with quad-core Radeon 3400, L2 cache of 2 MB (?), 4GB upgradable, and I think the GHz is slower, only 2.x Intel Xeon. Sound card is ASUS something. Not the motherboard. Mixup between the guy who built it and me, because I told him I wanted the best, and he didn't provide it. Even the disk chirps (turns out it's a Seagate Barracuda, not what I requested). So now I have to go buy what is the best for video making. I was thinking of asking these questions of xoctic pc.com, since they are all gamers, and though I'm not one, they would know what graphics etc. I should get.

Any thoughts? In any event, thank you SO much for your reply!

brainout

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25:02 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:If you are considering video production, some professionals would argue that you should be looking at a MAC - but they are quite pricey! As someone with more knowledge than me has stated on another forum I frequent has stated that it is not the RAM that is most important but the Processor Cache - the bigger the better. I don't know which part of the world you are in so could not state if one vendor better than another. In terms of graphics cards, I have always preferred nVidia, but they have caused some issues recently in respect of Zorin and other distros. Also, you need to check which Graphics cards still support XP! With regard to Hard Drives I have been very pleased with Samsung drives - now the bad news - Samsung hardrd drives have been bought out by Seagate! I hope they do not intend selling inferior Seagate Drives with the Samsung label on it! I bought a Seagate Drive a few years ago that came with a 5 year warranty - I did so on the basis of a report that most TV Recorders - with Hard Drives - were only fitting Seagate Drives. The drive failed after 3 years and when I contacted them they said I would have to pay carriage and they would ship out a 'refurbished' drive, not a new one! This may well be the stance of all hard drive manufacturers - needless to say, I did not bother. Samsung have been very quiet drives on the PC's that I have built - main PC and the Children's PC's.
In respect of European PC's Medion (normally sold by Supermarkets/Hypermarkets) always get exceptional reviews. I would avoid Dell in respect of any high end video PC's as one was purchased for work and the graphics drivers were no good at all! HP appear OK but both they and Dell have been guilty of marketing faulty products in the past when they were aware of issues and not letting on to their customers. So, I hope you get the machine of your dreams - but just after you think you've got the dogs doodas, the next gen has been released - very much like the Pentium followed by the MMX debacle - and all thanks to Intel who threatened OEM's they had supplied Pentium chips with that if they made it known that MMX was around the corner they would never supply them again with processors! My first PC I bought was a Pentium 120 put together very badly by an OEM through a friend of mine. I upgraded it with an 'Evergreen' processor - AMD 400 MHz! So I am a big AMD fan - OK they will never be up to the level of Intel but offer much more for your buck than Intel!

I'm in the US. Looks like I first better test the dual boot on the HP I have, since it has NVidia. See what happens. It's already loaded with XP Prof.

As for AMD, I hear ya. Got AMD on my Acer Aspire One A0A 150, and love it. When my Dell 8400 died, the Acer did all the same things. Only problem was the aspect ratio when I made HD videos using it. And, of course, it was much slower for making videos. Was thinking of going to xoctic pc and ordering a new computer kitted out with XP Prof (or no OS) from them, alerting them to the idea that I want to install XP Prof with dual Debian/Zorin on it, so they put in the right innards. Thank you for your time spent in reply!

brainout

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:58:44 am

Sounds good, swarfendor! What are you using for video editing?