This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Installation Acer Aspire 5736z help

Noannes

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:11:38 am

I'm trying to install on an acer aspire 5736z. Ubuntu crashes upon installation and Zorin gave me this error when I was close to completion. Execution grub install/der/sdb failed: This is a fatal error!
Also my backlight won't turn on when I use zorin or ubuntu. Please help me, I used unetbootin to boot from a flash drive. Please give me your ideas.

Anonymous

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:24:49 am

This should work. But it has been a while since ran into with this kind of problem with one of my Clients!!!!
Open Grub Command Line copy and paste>
Code>

: sudo sed -i 's/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"/g' /etc/default/grub

Then press Enter

Then update Grub with the changes.
While terminal is still open copy and paste:
code>

: sudo update-grub

Then press Enter>Reboot (Note the above will help with your BackLight issue.)

Try using Ubuntu recommended USB installer from ( http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -3/#button )

Check your Hard Drive for bad sectors with Hiren's boot CD that can be downloaded from Piratebay.org
Try installing Linux Mint Mate or cinnamon for testing purposes. If you get a complete install then guess what at least you know your it's not your hard drive..
You don't have to do the above with Mint, but it's an easy way to test your drive for a little extra assurance...

Noannes

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:41:33 am

Um, When do I put that code in, when I'm installing and testing Zorin? I'm not a computer genius.

Wolfman

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:59:26 am

Hi,

what prog did you use to create the USB stick??, let us know the name and maybe we can help you a little more!!.

see also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... omUSBStick

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:14:49 am

As I see from the error, you are trying to install the grub boot loader on the usb (sdb) -which probably does not have persistent space- , rather than on your hard disk (sda).

When you commence to install zorin, and you get to the installation options, before choosing "install zorin as your single OS" or "install Zorin in parallel with win7" etc, go to the 3rd option that says "something else" or "other".
In the bottom of the window that will open you will see an option saying something like "where to load the grub boot loader" and you can open a list under it.
Select "sda'. (You will probably see that "sdb" was selected and this was the reason of the error.).

After you select "sda", click on the "back" button. You will be redirected again in the installation menu window. Now you can select "install zorin as single OS" or "install zorin in parallel with win7" and proceed with the installation.

Noannes

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:28:40 am

I used unetbootin but I think madvinegar's idea will work. Also does anyone know how to fix a problem with the backlight not working. I've seen complaints about acers with this problem ever since the latest ubuntu updates. But, that's off topic, it would just be a bonus.

Wolfman

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:27:43 am

Hi,

this thread is marked as "SOLVED":

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1900024

birkopf

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:33:17 pm

Noannes wrote:I'm trying to install on an acer aspire 5736z. Ubuntu crashes upon installation and Zorin gave me this error when I was close to completion. Execution grub install/der/sdb failed: This is a fatal error!
Also my backlight won't turn on when I use zorin or ubuntu. Please help me, I used unetbootin to boot from a flash drive. Please give me your ideas.

I had similar problems in Apsire 7520. Leave usb installer. Burn Zorin 5.2 or 6 to DVD, install on default settings and it will work. If you have Windows and want dual-boot = install first Windows so that GRUB can install afterwards. You are getting this error because of one of the customization that you created. It could be incorrectly partitioned HDD or some other option that you are selecting like using LILO instead of GRUB. Causes could be endless. Acer's are fussy! But as I said - format your disk with ext4 prior to installation, install on default settings and it will work. Than you can make customization.

Noannes

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:31:20 am

Thank you birkopf, however I installed with zorin after choosing sda and everything worked fine, until I booted up, I didn't have the opportunity to choose zorin, tried reinstalling and did so multiple times and I know its in there somewhere cause my disk space is c*** now. Now, I need a way to boot zorin up or try birkopf's fix, and know how to uninstall zorin because I have it installed way too many times.

madvinegar

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:39:48 am

If you choose to install zorin as single OS, this will wipe out the whole drive and install zorin on an clean, empty drive.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23:43 am

Noannes wrote:Thank you birkopf, however I installed with zorin after choosing sda and everything worked fine, until I booted up, I didn't have the opportunity to choose zorin, tried reinstalling and did so multiple times and I know its in there somewhere cause my disk space is c*** now. Now, I need a way to boot zorin up or try birkopf's fix, and know how to uninstall zorin because I have it installed way too many times.

Hi,

see also this guide about partitioning which may help you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Post install guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Noannes

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:43:27 pm

However, I want to keep my windows, so that won't work.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:52:23 am

Noannes wrote:However, I want to keep my windows, so that won't work.

Hi,

did you read the partition guide all the way through??, you won't lose Windows if you follow the guide!!.

See part 1:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Noannes

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:02:17 pm

I'd like to keep windows, though...

Wolfman

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50:11 am

Hi,

if you follow the guide, you will keep Windows, we are not really sure where your problem lies if you don't explain in more detail!.

Noannes

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:56:53 pm

Sprry about the repeat about keeping windows, my post didn't show up for me so I reposted and reposted and, well...I will check on that guide, I wish that zorin had an easy way to install like ubuntu's wubi file.

madvinegar

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:24:52 pm

Wubi is only, and only for, testing linux. It is not a proper install and there is great possibility after an update to loose your grub menu and not be in a position to login.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:39:27 pm

Noannes wrote:Sprry about the repeat about keeping windows, my post didn't show up for me so I reposted and reposted and, well...I will check on that guide, I wish that zorin had an easy way to install like ubuntu's wubi file.

Hi,

Wubi is only for use within the Windows desktop, do you want to install Zorin in a virtual desktop or something similar??????.