This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 5.2

myjess

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:51:34 am

I have read that zorin 5.2 is bewtter thatn zorin 6, so I tried to download 5.2 core from all 4 mirrors but all the images will not load in virtualbox, and when burnt to a cd, and chose the live version, the computer says invalid or corrupt kernel image, and then after a few seconds goes back to the main menu.

I have tried many booting options, even manually typing the boot line in, but no good.

Zorin 6 boots properly and correctly using the exact same virtualbox and computer.

Please reply ASAP.

Thanks.

Auldyin

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:39:16 am

Hi myjess

I prefer 5.2 been using it for almost 1 year now without any problems.

I think you must have either a bad download or a bad burn of 5.2

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Wolfman

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:26:34 pm

Hi,

did you burn the CD at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't, you will get such errors and need to re-burn it and try again!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

myjess

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45:07 pm

Burning at slowest speed would not account for why the brand new downloaded image, all 4 of them, gives an error when selecting the iso within virtualbox, but thanks for your reply.

Wolfman

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:01:54 pm

Hi,

did you download the ISO using FireFox or a different browser, you be should using FireFox!!.

myjess

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:24:23 pm

Yes I downloaded using firefox.

I just downloaded 5.2core from torrents, not from any of the mirrors and the iso is 1 byte larger, and mounts in virtualbox and boots to live.

Unfortunately now, I have nautilus crash and notification are crash as soon as boot into live cd.

But, it seems like I didn't get the complete 100% iso all the times I downloaded from the mirror sites.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:52:59 am

Hi,

I never use (under normal circumstances) a torrent to download an ISO because I don't know if someone has tampered with the file(s).

Try the regular route again and when it comes to booting, try the "nomodeset" option:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-ub ... artup.html

see also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

myjess

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:59:09 am

How will the addition of nomodeset fix the invalid or corrupt kernel message?

I used all 4 mirrors.
5.2 on my netbook now beside pinguys and xp.
5.2 reminds me off knoppix with the exploding windows, bur 5.2 is faster, naybe cos its installed and not the live cd.
i like 5.2 better than 6 i'm afraid, it's tidier.

I was getting the odd gnomenu crash tho when i was in update manager which seemed to make all the menu items appear twice, but that cleaned itself up somehow.
I also absolutely positively live the fact that i can hibernate. Pinguys or 12.04lts flavors dont seem to let me do tgat anymore
Other things i love in 5.2. Proper scrollbars :) . I think the window borders are wider too. And as for that Unity dashboard, peoples stupid experiments into diferent desktops should not make it into real releases ;)

Now to get it all backed up before I load too much bloatware onto it.

Thanks for your help.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:15:20 am

Hi,

I was hoping it would stop stressing your PC out, another option is a USB stick.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

hawkman

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:53:38 pm

hi had you tried Qbittorrent? Is a great alternative method for download .... and yes zorin 5.2 core and 6 core are there.....

Wolfman

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15:11 am

Hi,

glad to hear it is up and running, can we mark this as solved??.

You said initially that you you wanted to run it in VB but you installed it, maybe it is/was VB that was causing the problem and not the ISO!!!.