This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Multi Boot

w3a53735

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:13:32 am

I would like to install ZORIN on my PC.

I use a boot manager called Bootit Bear Metal from Terabyte Unlimited.
BBM updates the MBR.

I would install ZORIN into it's own seperate partition.

Some Linux distros DESTROY the MBR thus making a real mess.
Does ZORIN do this? Is it safe to install?

If it is safe i will try it out.

Second question ...

BBM requires that I pre allocate the empty partitions.

What partition types should I allocate?

Steve ...

Wolfman

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:16:53 am

Hi Steve,

please take a look at this guide which will explain a lot about partitioning etc, if you have further questions, feel free to post back:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Zorin installer uses the same method as Ubuntu and you should install the Zorin boot manager to MBR, I advise against using a 3rd party boot manager at this stage!!.

After you have done your install, please read also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

and:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

birkopf

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:37:13 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi w3a53735, and welcome to the Zorin forum. Firstly, no bootloader will destroy an MBR unless it is faulty in the first place! What Zorin does is 'overwrite' the Windows bootloader with the GNU/Linux one - GRUB 2 (GRand Unified Bootloader).

I fully agree with swarfendor437... especially after running Both systems for years. Best option is always to Install Windows first and let it make it's changes to MBR. Once done, install Linux (Zorin obviously :) and use standard settings which will install you GRUB. Once done - you can use customization on GRUB to make it look better, to have it select default system faster, etc. Possibilities are endless but I would steer clear of using another MBR Manager. I have done it before and there was sooner or later a problem.