This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

VMware installation sucsess and how to

sonoma95446

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:43:48 pm

1st, if you have the VMware player and your serious, pluck out the money for the ver. 8 VMware workstation and install it with all updates. I have found it will work with almost any version of linux if you throw out the instructions and get creative. Saying that, these are the steps I used for a successful instal of core 32 Zorin on the VMware workstation 8 running on Windows 7 64.
I tried using the Ubuntu 32 bit settings and it jammed after entering all my info and said creating user. so I spent the money 5 euros I think but got sick of waiting for my registration number and damn near slapped myself for asking for help as I am have 20 years in the field as a tech. So after that here's how to do it.
Select "other" use the "linux" setting which then gives you the drop down with the linux "32 bit kernal 2.6" regardless that this is incorrect. Once again ignore the suggested virtual settings as they are insufficient for this version. Enter the VMware setting as follows
Set VMware to compatibility with VMware 7. Then,
1 proc, 1 core is fine to start and worked. I always use 2 out of my 4 cores as sometimes certain versions of linux need to use a separate core so do not use all your cores.
2gigs ram
at least 20gigs hard disk space if you really want to play
Hard drive SCSI interface
Network Bridged
The resolution came back maxed out when it rebooted and you have to scroll down to the bottom and around a bit to log in and set the resolution correctly.
After it reboots press the finished installing button on vmwares bottom toolbar, set your vmware to use full screen and enjoy.
Maybe they have a good thing here and I hope they get the buggy install worked out It swill reboot and bring up grub let the default top line I believe boot into it's regular mode. Most installs do not boot into grub on VMware but it really isn't a problem and it incorrectly used my name as the user name and asked for the passwoprd I put in. Other then that it seems to run fine.