This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Frozen on install

thechaIIenger

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:36:38 pm

Hi, I am looking forward to trying out Zorin OS 6 free variant, but sadly my install seems frozen. I'm currently stuck at about 20% finished and it's been that way for 2 hours... I'm trying to install with a flash drive and at that I'm installing the duel booting variant. My system has:
~AMD Phenom II X4 910 Processor
~ATI Radeon HD 4350 graphics card
~8GB DDR3 system memory
~1 Terabyte hard drive
Therefore I think It should have moved at least somewhat by now...

So I guess I have three questions
1.) Does anyone have a solution to make it resume downloading?
2.) If not can I stop the installation process (logging out/turning off my computer) and then restart the installation process without messing up my computer?
3.) Off topic slightly, I'm thinking about buying the ultimate version of the OS. What would I have to do to upgrade to it? Also Should I just stop the installation process, and then get the ultimate version and install that one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks :D

thechaIIenger

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:56:45 pm

Also It is frozen during the creating user portion of the installation. Heres some info I got from the terminal running lsusb and lspci commands:

live@live:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 048d:1169 Integrated Technology Express, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c05a Logitech, Inc. Optical Mouse M90
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03f0:8711 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 058f:6364 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 7-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer [Sabrent]
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04f2:0841 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
live@live:~$ lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SMBus (rev a1)
00:01.2 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.3 Co-processor: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Co-Processor (rev a2)
00:01.4 RAM memory: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:02.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1)
00:02.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1)
00:04.0 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1)
00:04.1 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1)
00:09.0 RAID bus controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SATA Controller (RAID mode) (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: NVIDIA Corporation MCP77 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:12.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:13.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1)
00:14.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): LSI Corporation FW322/323 (rev 70)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]
02:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
live@live:~$

thechaIIenger

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15:19 pm

First off I would like to say thanks swarfendor437 for the quick response. As for your questions:

1.) My PC is a branded pc that I got through best buy, it's a hp Pavilion Elite e9120y PC.
2.) I got Zorin.iso from http://zorin-os.com/core32.html
3.) As for the link you gave me, I did not install my Zorin following it, rather I followed a combination of http://zorin-os.com/installguide.html , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aobGCjSQpZs , and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70TEHEFVCe4&feature=plcp

..... I should have checked the .iso file before installing, I did not think it was going to be overly important since it wasn't listed on http://zorin-os.com/installguide.html. How could I check the file at this point of time, since it is no longer in .iso format?

4.) As for burning a DVD I did that twice, once with the file in .iso format and once with it extracted first. Both times I burned it at the slowest speed available, and both times the computer wouldn't boot up to Zorin (I even went to the boot menu and selected the DVD drive it was in). I thought about downloading the recommended ImgBurn, but I didn't want to risk losing another DVD. I saw that people were using flash drives on youtube to install Linux based systems and thought that I would be better off that way since I could just reformat the flash drive if it didn't work. Plus I saw a video where someone successfully used a flash drive to install Zorin using UNetbootin to burn the .iso to the flash drive and installed Zorin, although sadly I can't find the video now. Although It booted up flawlessly with the flash drive, it just got stuck installing.....

So now that it's stuck what do I do? Can I turn off the computer without damaging anything? If so then I'll try following your advice after I check to make sure the original file (I saved the file that I burned on windows 7) is not corrupted.

thechaIIenger

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:19:52 pm

Also the installation process that I used was the duel OS process the .iso had in it....

thechaIIenger

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11:34 pm

I believe I ran the 'automatic' installer to install alongside Windows 7, I'm not sure what GRUB is, although I got to the point where the installer started showing the slideshow, then it stopped making any progress. I did not create a Windows 7 Repair Disc before attempting to install Zorin, however I do have the indows 7 Home Premium Disk from the store... As for factory restore DVD's, I do not have them... Although my system doesn't have the factory hp defaults as of now any ways since I had to put in a new hard drive due to a nasty virus, hence one of the reasons I was looking into Zorin.

thechaIIenger

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:27:58 pm

If the GRUB is the portion where it asked for my user name/password I did get to that portion, and it freezed right after I clicked continue... and the frozen loading bar has "creating user..." stuck above it.

thechaIIenger

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48:59 pm

Thanks swarfendor437 for the suggestion, although right now I'm actually on Zorin talking to you lol. I am able to use the Zorin options that came with the boot up disk and the computer is not froze, just the installation. I do have a second computer but the dvd drive in it is busted from me abusing it by coping literately 200+cd's on it non stop for a ipod.... I should have known better especially since it was a laptop drive...

So as for how I should go about this will be interesting. I'm guessing that I can still download applications to this computer I'm on with Zorin, but the computer will lose everything I download when it gets rebooted. If that's the case then It sounds like I can download imgburn, and download the ultimate Boot CD along with System Rescue CD and burn both CD's. Then I could use the Hard drive tool, and press f3 to get into windows.... I lucky have a second cd-rw drive on my computer so making the Windows Repair disc should be okay :) . The main thing is that I've never made a Windows Repair disc before, so I don't know how to as of now. I guess I could Google it though.

Let me know what you think of my idea and again thanks a lot for your help :)

thechaIIenger

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:54:20 pm

I'll follow this link for the system repair disc

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/wind ... epair-disc

thechaIIenger

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:21:30 pm

A video on how to install Zorin manually would be AWESOME!!! I really don't think anyone would mind seeing you in the video. I know it wouldn't make me think any less of you, a person is who they are by their actions, not by what they look like, and you have been doing a wonderful job helping me out :)

I am a little confused though, how would I go about mounting my NTFS (Windows) partition using the Live Linux DVD/CD to extract crucial data? Also yes the last time windows shut down it did so cleanly.

Another thing to note is that I have an external Hard drive that everything is backed up on about once a month, so I won't be losing much if I do lose stuff...

thechaIIenger

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:29:19 pm

Thanks for the replies swarfendor437 :)

Okay as of now I'm on windows 7, and I have bought the Zorin ultimate 32 bit, checked the file and it is good. Then I burnt the DVD with imgburn on the slowest setting. I went to run the dvd live, and it comes up with "Failed to load session 'Zorin_desktop'" and frezes or goes into a log on menu that I can't get through. Is this an issue with the boot up disk despite the hash checking correct in the zip file or perhaps an issue caused by me turning off the computer while it was froze in the boot up session? Also windows 7 works fine right now, although the memory partition is still split in half and there is no boot option for Zorin on startup without the boot CD. So I guess will I have to somehow uninstall Zorin before installing the Zorin Ultimate? Also would it be easier to duel my system off with ubuntu and then run a virtual machine to install Zorin? I don't have ubuntu installed on this computer but it installed very easily on the laptop so it would be easy enough for me to do.

thechaIIenger

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:45:04 pm

I'm not sure if Zorin is partially installed or not. I turned the computer off when the download was still frozen... So are you recommending that I download ubuntu on my computer that I'm trying to run Zorin on first, since it does not have it yet?

Also I'm downloading/burning Gparted .iso to a disk now

thechaIIenger

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54:34 pm

Desktop

thechaIIenger

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:09:25 pm

I HATE that :evil: ! My internet will be good for about 6 months and then will all of a sudden go on the fritz and work on and off for about a month. (on for 10 minutes tops) and some days it will be completely dead.

Well I hope your internet gets more reliable soon :)

thechaIIenger

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38:52 pm

Sadly I don't have another computer with a working dvd drive to check it out on... Although I'll try using a separate dvd drive in my desktop to load it up and see if it works, since I can't even go out and get a cleaning cd due to me swapping my cars tires out right now...

As for shrinking my windows portion I'm going to leave it a flat 50/50 split due to my hard drive being a 1 terabyte hard drive, and windows may stay the primary operating system since I don't know how I will like Zorin. I doubt Zorin needs more than 450+ GB of space anyway...

Now I'm off to try messing with gparted like you said

thechaIIenger

Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03:33 am

As for your step b
"b. Create a 'Linux swap'/'swap area' of 4 Gb at the end of the free space."
Do you want me to make the file system: linux-swap, with a title of '/' or '/swap area'?

Wolfman

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41:59 am

Hi,

this might give you some some ideas about partitioning:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Regards Wolfman :D

thechaIIenger

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:49:41 pm

I finally got Zorin installed successfully :D . I ended up using Gparted to manually set up the system, using Wolfman's tutorial which was an excellent tutorial and using the suggested values swarfendor437 gave since they seemed a better choice to me considering how much memory my computer has (1 terabyte). From there I had to re-burn the disk since it wasn't loading right initially, which fixed that thankfully. Then on the install process it got hung up on the "creating user" portion of the automatic installation. Then I found this link viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2857 which was right, me choosing to "encrypt my home directory" was causing it to glitch.

Major thanks to swarfendor437 for all the time you spent helping me out ;) I really appreciate it!
Also thanks for posting a link to your tutorial Wolfman, it really clarified things for me :)

Thanks again and I wish you guys well!