This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Installing from DVD stops!

GFawks

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02:06 pm

Hello
I would like to try the Zorin Distro ..The DVD md5 checksum is ok and boots on a Lenovo T61 windows machine but not on my Dell 1300 laptop ?
Other distros do work on this machine no problem ( Ubuntu ,Open Suse )
I have disabled the wireless in bios and connected the network cable while installing ..have tried nomodeset and b43.blacklist=yes
also tried the lite version but the installation stalls every time ..the disk is inactive and no keys work ...the only option is removing the battery and rebbot with the same result ..The HDD has been re partitioned and formatted ..tried compatibility mode , install mode ..

..if anyone can point me in the right direction ...thank you for any advise ..

Wolfman

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:45:42 am

Hi,

you know your way around a Linux PC by the sound of things but did you burn the DVD at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't, you will get read/write errors such as you describe with slow booting speed etc. Reburn the disk at the slowest speed possible!.

Regards Wolfman :D

GFawks

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:59:06 pm

Installing from DVD stops ! .... ( SOLVED )

I have now cleaned the R/W head on the drive and downloaded the newest update 6.1 32 bit ..

Also I used Pmagic to write zeros to the HDD completle drive ..

I burned the DVD at X4 speed and veryfied the the write in K3b ..

One thing I noticed was ... after d/l from 2 different mirrors the md5 checksum was still different from the one on the download page at zorin (32 bit )

there is a exra digit "1" in both my dowloads compard with the one on the page ( eb2f40b7b8ef86106f64cdfbc4b5c3c )

after ....106 i have 1 before the f

Ignoring this i installed onto laptop with default options ..rebooted and it is now working on network cable and wireless as well !

Thanks for all your replies and advise