This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing Zorin on an External Hard Drive

brotherbrian

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:15:33 pm

Hello everyone. I have both Zorin 5.2 Ultimate and 6 Ultimate. I would like to install one or the other onto a partition of my external hard drive, a WD 2TB. It is broken up into a 1.5TB partition (NTFS) for windows storage, and a 250GB partition for Linux (ext4). I tried the traditional installation from my desktop's DVD drive. I let it come up to the live version, and tried to install from there, but no dice (I kept getting a "nautilus error" prior to install, and I think that messed up the install option). Then I tried to install directly from the DVD, which was more successful, the installation completed. However, When I went into my desktop's BIOS to change the boot priority to USB, upon reboot, I got an error saying "error: hd0 out of space. Please press any key to continue...". So I would like to know if there is a good walkthrough for installing Zorin on an external hard drive, while retaining a Windows installation on my internal. This is eventually going to be for my laptop, which I do not want to dual boot from its internal drive. I know it's probably a problem with the bootloader, perhaps its conflicting with the bootloader on my internal drive, I don't know. A good set of installation instructions would be very helpful, thank you.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:44:44 pm

daveca

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:47:54 pm

queensv

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:55:20 pm

Does it boots automatically or require any file for startup

madvinegar

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:43:03 pm

All you need to take into account is where to place the grub bootloader.

I will let you in a little trick I found.

When you install Zorin and you go to the screen that lets you choose between:
1. Install zorin in parallel with Win7 or any other OS
2. Install zorin and delete any other OS.
3. Something else

even if your plan is to choose either the 1st or 2nd option, go firstly to the 3rd option. In the window that will open, on the lower point you will see that you can choose where to install the boot loader. Click on it and choose from the list te correct partition/hard disk.

For example, if you want to place the grub loader on an external disk, choose /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc (according to what your external drive is named).
If you want to install the grub loader on your internal hd, then choose /dev/sda.

Then, just press back. The installer will take you back on the screen with the 3 options. (However, the installer has memorized where you want to install the grub loader!) Choose the 1st or 2nd option (according to your needs). Then choose the correct partition/hard disk were you want to install Zorin, and that's it!

The above procedure will make sure that you install grub loader into the correct partition/hard disk.

Robert Webber

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:08:59 pm

Well, what are you actually suggesting? I should install GRUB into the external hard disk or the internal one? The above link refers to a USB install of Zorin, which is much different than installing to an external hard disk. I think it's better to install grub into the external harddisk.

[Edited by moderator: no links to external websites that have no relation to GNU/Linux please! Thanks]

madvinegar

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05:22 pm

If you want your external HDD to be completely separated from your internal HDD system (windows), then yes I agree you should install grub on the external HDD.
Therefore, you should see the grub menu ONLY if you boot up via your external HDD.