This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

HOW tO INSTALL .deb FILE IN ZORIN OS WITHOUT INTERNET ACCESS

rejul22j

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:06:54 am

how can i install .deb file in zorin os without internet connection.
i have downloaded .deb files of lives,gdebi, cinelerra, audacity etc. but i cudnt install it through software centre .
the install button is greyed out(disabled). i cant install gdebi to open deb file also ...
how could i install sofwares in zorin os like installing exe files in microsof twindows. plzzzzzzzzzz help me. other than that zorin is a superb OS

madvinegar

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:48:51 pm

Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo dpkg -i the-name-of-the-deb-file.deb

Ofcourse you need to navigate to the file that the deb file is located.
For example, if the deb file is located in your Downloads folder you need first to do
Code:
cd /home/your-user-name/Downloads

and hit <enter>
and then
Code:
sudo dpkg -i the-name-of-the-deb-file.deb

rejul22j

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:32:28 am

ok. thank u . let me try that way a get to u. is there any other easy way.. other than installing throu terminal with out internet access.why it is not possible to install like installing softyware in windows

madvinegar

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:42:34 am

I think that if you atleast install gdebi, you can then perform all the installations of the deb files, via gdebi.

rejul22j

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32:12 am

ok .

rejul22j

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:13:03 am

hi thank u man it worked. i installed gdebi. but when tried to install k3b, xine (zorin packages) a message displayed, recommending to install via software channel and it directly goes to download options. and i hve got 1 more query.- when i tried to install cinelerra, lives,audacity.. message displayed like dependency is not satisfiable. how can i find its dependency...?

madvinegar

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:38:25 am

Try this.
Go to your update manager > settings > software sources > updates tab > and tick the box that says "recomended updates - precise updates".

If that does not work, you must post the entire error message to see what is wrong.

rejul22j

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:44:49 am

i tried going to update manager-settings-upates- and tried to tick recommended updates-precise update. not possible to tick. it disables when i release fingur frm mouse. i am unable make tick on it.autentication passwd is asked i entered my passwrd. but not possible to tick.

whn i tried to install .deb file thru gdebi xine,k3b, - message displays- same version is available in the software channel.after closing that tab. clicked on install button .but goes to downloading and failed. not possible tru terminal also. error messge came..plzzzzzzz help dear. how can i install all those software without internet connctn.

rejul22j

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02:25 am

madvinegar wrote:Try this.
Go to your update manager > settings > software sources > updates tab > and tick the box that says "recomended updates - precise updates".

If that does not work, you must post the entire error message to see what is wrong.

i tried going to update manager-settings-upates- and tried to tick recommended updates-precise update. not possible to tick. it disables when i release fingur frm mouse. i am unable make tick on it.autentication passwd is asked i entered my passwrd. but not possible to tick.

whn i tried to install .deb file thru gdebi xine,k3b, - message displays- same version is available in the software channel.after closing that tab. clicked on install button .but goes to downloading and failed. not possible tru terminal also. error messge came..plzzzzzzz help dear. how can i install all those software without internet connctn.

rejul22j

rejul22j

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17:40 am

tried going to update manager-settings-upates- and tried to tick recommended updates-precise update. not possible to tick. it disables when i release fingur frm mouse. i am unable make tick on it.autentication passwd is asked i entered my passwrd. but not possible to tick.

rejul22j

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:21:05 am

how can i install softwares that are already available in software repository without internet connection. i have downloaded, xine, k3b, audacity. how can i install a third party software like cinelerra.deb in zorin without internet connection.

madvinegar

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:39:42 am

Are they deb files?
I suppose you can do it via qdebi or through terminal. See the 2nd post of this topic.

The problem only comes when some of these deb files need certain dependencies in order to work. These dependencies are included in the official repositories but have to be downloaded when the program is installed.
If you already have these dependencies (or if the program does not need dependencies), then all is ok.

rejul22j

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:07:46 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:You have stated that you have no internet connection - so how did you get hold of Zorin - was it from a Magazine? (I know it was on the cover of Linux Format a couple of issues back). Without internet connection you cannot get additional software - but then, how are you posting here? :mrgreen:

i m posting at my office. during free time . i hve own laptop 4 personal use. in that i installed zorin. for that only i m loooking for everything

rejul22j

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:10:38 pm

madvinegar wrote:Are they deb files?
I suppose you can do it via qdebi or through terminal. See the 2nd post of this topic.

The problem only comes when some of these deb files need certain dependencies in order to work. These dependencies are included in the official repositories but have to be downloaded when the program is installed.
If you already have these dependencies (or if the program does not need dependencies), then all is ok.

yea they r .deb files only xine,k3b,lives etc.