This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

quick update about my past posts

maxmick69

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:58:04 am

Hi guys
I last posted about issues concerning Zorin core but not lite as said before we in glasgow have to find a workable distro before ordering an original factory disk from zorin..
The rules are.

1 the distrobution must install on all donated pcs..
2 once the proofing part has been completed then the schools and community centers will order proper cds/dvds from zorin but not before...

Pendrive or memory sticks are not allowed due to there being a sensitivity and security issue as we are all working with kids voluntarally all cds and dvds are downloaded burned and installed at the centers and schools then stored if working or instantly destroyed if not on the premises by the admin or head of staff due to strict proofing methods agreed upon at the first meeting.

As requested before we need a working fully installable version 6 or above core to install in all 19 computers not 2 computers as stated in my previous posts till now we have demonstrated successfully zorin lite on all computers but core on only 2 computers.
All the voluntary engineers with many years of experience are now considering alternatives if we are unable to have the highest version of zorin and not any version below 6 as the whole idea during our first meeting was to replace windows xp and vista with the highest most recent release of a linux distro that most resembles windows enviroment with no excuses as we had to prove the worth of linux against windows to prove a point to save money by reusing old donated pc equipment..
If we cannot make proper progress by january 28th all funding is to be cut and the pcs removed and this will lead to 3 already running community centers losing out with two others also losing out who were watching our progress to take on board the same ideas and wont be able to receive funding either even tho they too have 8 pcs with more computers to be donated from 4 local businesses
To finalise what needs to be done as well stated we have to purchase an original cd/dvd for each pc after proofing as the set rules are overlapped due to nasty windows product key requirements we are tied to that rule even tho by rights it should not apply to a linux distro..(the admin are stuck in the past)
We cannot purchase till proofing is complete so we are trying out two other competitors just now and wont give up till we are forced by the commity to give up...
Hope theres a turn around real soon as i had my hopes on Zorin and put my reputation and time also money on the line as i am lead engineer on the project which originally was my idea now everyone is looking at me for a rapid solution..
Please help
Michael

madvinegar

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:16:43 am

I suppose that all donated PCs must have low specs and this is why Zorin core cannot be installed in all of them. But even if you managed to install it, it would not be fast and probably not very easy to use.

The Lite version is a very nice choice. It runs fast even in old PCs and you can then add any other program you need. For example you can install zorin lite and then add libre office from the lubuntu software center. It would be fast, complete and in other words "usable". It would run 3 times faster and be 3 times more stable than winXP.

Why is that you need Core so badly when you can have all the programs you like with Lite (and still have a quick and usable machine)?