This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

problems with new Zorin 6 Ult installation....

Sentar

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32:03 am

System Specs as follows
1 x Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Quad Core Processor with HT LGA1155 Latest Ivy Bridge

1 x Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 ATX Ivy Bridge Socket 1155 4x DDR3 PCI-E3.0 RAID CrossFireX SLI USB3.0 SATA3 WirelessN Onboard VGA/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort

1 x COOLER MASTER HAF XM MID TOWER 200mm Fans USB3.0 3-way SLI & CrossFireX Support 2HDDs Two X-Dock Cable Management Latch on Side Panel SATA port 1

1 x Corsair HX-850 850W ATX Power Supply 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Cabling 6x 6+2 PCI-E 12x SATA 8x Molex

1 x Lite-on IHAS120 20X SATA Black OEM d: drive SATA port 2

1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM

1 x Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Academic 2010 (Word Excel Powerpoint OneNote Outlook Publisher Access) Retail Box

1 x Foxconn 19 in 1 Internal All in One Card Reader OEM PACK - for CF/SD/miniSD/MMC/MS/xD/microSD/M2

1 x Gigabyte GV-N65TOC-1GI Overclocked Geforce GTX 650 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 VGA 2xDVI HDMI

2 x AOC e2350Sd 23" Full HD LED Monitor - Black 1920x1080 20M:1 Contrast (DCR) 5ms DVI+VGA VESA

2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB gaming Single DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Model F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL

1 x Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Combo

1 x Corsair Force GS Series 3 240GB SSD with SandForce SF-2200 Series controllers and fast Toggle NAND SATA3 6Gb/s Performance R/W: 555/525 MB/s c: drive in the removable drive SATA port 1

2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA3 64MB Cache 7200RPM WD10EZEX e: drive set to RAID 1 mirrored SATA ports 3&4

4 x Seagate NQC 250Gb HDD’s - 2 x f: drive set to RAID 1 mirrored and 2 x g: set to RAID 0 striped Ports 5&6 and Ports 7&8

Problem I have the SSD as c: running on Port 1 boots and work fine.

I remove the SSD and install a 500GB WD HDD on Port 1 and I cannot install Zorin to this disk port 1 set as c:.

I get the Zorin install screen from the DVD tell it to boot and install all I get is a grey screen.

Could someone please advise

Regards Sentar

Deacon

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:55:20 am

I am not a professional support person, so I am not the best person to answer, but since it appears you are switching out the primary, I was wondering. When you have the SSD installed, does the CD go to the partitioning screen (the beginning of the install process)? I assume that's where you have Windows installed, but I just want to see if we can eliminate a configuration issue. WD drives are common and almost any distro can handle them.

Sentar

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:21:39 am

I am removing the SSD altogether and just having the WD as the C: primary drive,the RAID drives are still connected. The WD is formatted before installation as NTFS but is BLANK

Regards Carl

Deacon

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:06:45 am

Sentar wrote:I am removing the SSD altogether and just having the WD as the C: primary drive,the RAID drives are still connected. The WD is formatted before installation as NTFS but is BLANK

Regards Carl

Right-- the system has to initialize, however, before it checks the state of the drive. If you're getting a grey screen after choosing install, only one of two things can generally be wrong: (a) the disc is faulty or (b) the computer isn't recognizing a primary. There's a reason it isn't moving forward-- that's why I asked if the install will start with the SSD -- LKGC (Last Known Good Configuration)

Again, not a professional, and not a mod, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I just like my system, I've fixed some computers in my day. This is a fairly mature system; it usually just goes through the prompts. So if it doesn't, it's an "early" error.

(To explain my full thinking:Since you mentioned it worked with the SSD, I want to see if the installation system will activate with that drive in place-- it can't erase anything at the partition screen-- and if it gets to that screen we know there is a configuration problem. I am not sure but I would first check if the BIOS recognized it as the primary-- some of them are finicky, and so it could be hanging because the computer only sees a bunch of secondary drives causing the hang. Then again I could be wrong.)

Sentar

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:38:47 am

Ill try when I get back thanks

Sentar

Deacon

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:43:40 pm

Sentar wrote:Ill try when I get back thanks

Sentar

Make sure to note what happens! Curious-- it sounds like one powerful system.

Sentar

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28:24 am

swarfendor437 wrote:I know SSD and GNU/Linux have progressed - have you tried a manual installation and using ext2 on the SSD? Also did you try safe graphics mode with the same result? Not having much joy to check this out - see if you can reach the page:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... es-948924/

Ok to date (5 Jan 2013)
I have tried the following....
I have successfully installed WIN7 on that 320Gb Seagate HDD in the removable caddy after removing the SDD Drive, in the same slot.
All RAID drives showed up and were accessible.

I tried your noquiet, nosplash, nomodeset then hit enter NO go either.….

I then tried to install the following Linux flavours….
1) Zorin 6 Ultimate from your supplied DVD FAILED grey screen
2) Ubuntu 12.04.1 from a boot DVD burnt using a downloaded ISO file, this FAILED grey screen
3) Linux MINT from a boot DVD burnt using a downloaded ISO file, this FAILED grey screen
4) Linux Fedora 17 LIVE from a boot DVD burnt using a downloaded ISO file, this FAILED grey screen

Drive tested with Seatools reports all good on a full check.

It would seem it could be a Video problem as the all display the initial screen then go blank grey with blinking Curser after selecting a install option, but do not understand and as this is the preferred system I am a bit worried about why this is happening.
Have tried installing the HDD directly to the SATA port and NOT through the Removable slot.

Most frustrating as all Linux flavours work on another lesser computer.

Your assistance is welcome and I appreciate the time and effort to fix this problem.

Thought?? the HDD mode on the M/B to take care of the SSD is set to AHCI could this be the problem??

Regards Carl