This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin not using whole screen

TDubKong

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:01:37 am

I have dutifully searched the boards and have not found a solution yet. So probably its something easy to fix and being a Zorin NoOb I just dont know the trick. The problem: on my external monitor the Os uses all of my actual screen. On my laptop it is cut short on the sides. its the full height but leaves about two to two and a half inches on either side. I have a Toshiba A505 laptop. Zorin recognizes that I have dual monitors and allows me to extend my desktop. If I unplug my external monitor and just use my laptop screen then it fills the screen. Other stuff that doesnt matter....4GB RAM 320GB Hard drive. Chicken wings for dinner. Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

any helpful replies would be appreciated

Deacon

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:19:25 am

TDubKong wrote:I have dutifully searched the boards and have not found a solution yet. So probably its something easy to fix and being a Zorin NoOb I just dont know the trick. The problem: on my external monitor the Os uses all of my actual screen. On my laptop it is cut short on the sides. its the full height but leaves about two to two and a half inches on either side. I have a Toshiba A505 laptop. Zorin recognizes that I have dual monitors and allows me to extend my desktop. If I unplug my external monitor and just use my laptop screen then it fills the screen. Other stuff that doesnt matter....4GB RAM 320GB Hard drive. Chicken wings for dinner. Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

any helpful replies would be appreciated

Ah, Chicken wings.

When you look in Display Properties (In the menu under System Settings --> Displays) Is the box for "mirror screens" checked off when they are both plugged in and this is happening? The reason I ask is because it sounds like when you plug the second screen in, it seems to be trying to "match" the larger screen.

Could you toggle that checkbox to see what happens, if you haven't already?

TDubKong

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:54:03 am

Got it figured out. First when i installed Zorin i had both monitors already connected. For some reason it didnt appreciate that. if i start my boot Zorin on my laptop and then after it is up and running plug the other monitor in it works fine. Deacon. I had seen the mirror check box and wondered if that was the issue and I had done as you suggested but it didn't seem to change anything and I still had the same issue. Thank you both ofr the help though. really appreciate it

Deacon

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:12:10 am

TDubKong wrote:Got it figured out. First when i installed Zorin i had both monitors already connected. For some reason it didnt appreciate that. if i start my boot Zorin on my laptop and then after it is up and running plug the other monitor in it works fine. Deacon. I had seen the mirror check box and wondered if that was the issue and I had done as you suggested but it didn't seem to change anything and I still had the same issue. Thank you both ofr the help though. really appreciate it

Great. The value of a system is how easily a user can get it working without help. :D