This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Two computers, one 32 bit one 64 bit.

GrodyMaroon

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24:03 am

Hello again,

So I have been using Zorin OS 6 for about two weeks now, and have decided to take the full plunge and replace Vista entirely. However, I want to purchase the premium software and I am having problems deciding if I should use 32 bit, or 64 bit.

The computers are both about the same age, but my desktop is running a quad core and is 64 bit capable. The laptop is a dual core, but is only 32 bit capable. Is it worth buying the software twice just so I can have 64 bit on my desktop, or would a 32 bit version work fine for both?

The desktop is currently running a 32 bit version of Vista, and I've been test driving 32 bit Zorin Educational without a hitch. I only have 3 gigs of memory with no plans to upgrade soon. What's the 64 bit advantage?

What do ya think?

Thanks.

GrodyMaroon

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:32:33 pm

I've already determined that one computer can run 64 bit, and the other can not. I'm trying to get a feel for what the 64 bit advantage is.

Deacon

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36:57 pm

GrodyMaroon wrote:I've already determined that one computer can run 64 bit, and the other can not. I'm trying to get a feel for what the 64 bit advantage is.

Largely depends on what you are doing with the 64-bit. On the one hand, the system is optimized for processing power. Stuff like video encoding, et cetera, you want to use 64-bit. On the other, some programs not optimized for the processor will actually run more slowly (like flash). If you are doing multimedia on the 64-bit, it's probably better to test out Zorin Core beforehand for your machines in their respective versions and use them for their purposes. If it's just a bigger computer used for basically the same things, you may get away with using the 32 on both.

GrodyMaroon

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:52:52 am

The desktop will be used for html editing, and photo manipulation. Mostly web-design stuff. I don't think I would run into anything too processor heavy.

Thanks for the input. It's really not very expensive so I'll probably just start with the 32 bit on both, and if I need to upgrade my desktop later I'll just purchase the 64 bit.

That leads me into one more question that I have. I don't know if it's appropriate for me to ask here, or start a new thread, but it is somewhat relevant to this so I'll ask.

I will be installing the premium version of Zorin on a brand new clean 1TB HDD. What is the best way to partition this drive so that I could remove the 32 bit later and install the 64 bit, without losing the rest of my data? I've used some partition software, but I really have no clue as to the appropriate way this should be done.

Thanks for any input.
GM

Deacon

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:17:06 am

GrodyMaroon wrote:The desktop will be used for html editing, and photo manipulation. Mostly web-design stuff. I don't think I would run into anything too processor heavy.

32 will be just fine.

GrodyMaroon wrote:I will be installing the premium version of Zorin on a brand new clean 1TB HDD. What is the best way to partition this drive so that I could remove the 32 bit later and install the 64 bit, without losing the rest of my data? I've used some partition software, but I really have no clue as to the appropriate way this should be done.

Thanks for any input.
GM

You were reading my mind, friend, I was thinking about this just today. There is a way to partition the drives-- follow this guy's instructions for Ubuntu which will make a "renewable" install. It's a little tricky, but will save you a headache later.

http://rbgeek.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/ ... partition/

GrodyMaroon

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:13:27 am

Thanks for the info, Deacon. I'll definitely look into that.