This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Executing 'grub-install /dev/sdb' failed.

GrodyMaroon

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:46:49 am

Hello all,

While trying to install 64 bit premium, it ended up with the fatal error mentioned in the subject. I'm running the live system now just fine from USB.
Not quite sure what to do from here. What the _____ is a GRUB? Sounds like a computer eating worm.

Thanks,
Grody

madvinegar

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:59:32 am

You have selected to install the boot loader (grub) in the sdb i.ie the USB flashdisk, which is wrong. The bootloader must be installed in the sda (i.e. your main hard disk partition).

When you start the installation, you will get into a screen with 3 options on how to install zorin. i.e. in parrallel with some other OS, or formating the hard disk and installing only Zorin or "something else". Choose this 3rd "something else" option.
A window will open. At the lower point you will see that it says "where to install Grub boot loader". If you click on it a drop down menu will appear. From the list choose "sda". (you will see that sdb was previously chosen which was wrong). After you choose "sda", click "back". You will go back to th screen with the 3 options on how to install zorin. Only this time the system has kept in memory that you want to install the grub menu in sda.
Then choose option 1 or option 2 according to your needs, and proceed normally with the installation.

GrodyMaroon

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43:29 pm

Cool, thanks madvinegar. That's the 3rd or 4th time you've helped me in my very short time here. That worked, but I did have to change some partition tables around first. I had some extra partitions before I started. Would you mind taking a look at the attached photo, and let me know if that looks correct? The 14 gig partitions I tried to get rid of, but I can use it for something so it isn't a big deal.

Thanks again,
Grody

madvinegar

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11:40 pm

Thanx Swarf. Since you are the partitioning expert, could you please help out Grody with his above query?

GrodyMaroon

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:08:58 am

Thanks for the info, Swarf; and sorry for the long delay in replying. Been forced to neglect the computer lately.

I"ll have to stare at your response for a bit, as it doesn't fully make sense to me. I dual booted this hard drive with Win 7, and Zorin Premium. I started with just the Windows 7 partition, and that little 14 gig partition that I created for a pointless rescue disk idea that is, as I said, pointless.

So if I understand this correctly the 100 gig is something for Windows, the 14 gig is useless- then I decided to split what was left down the middle for Zorin and Windows. I guess that was a bad idea? I actually have two hard drives that are both 1TB. I'm booting Vista, Zorin, and Win7. You've seen this drive with Zorin and Win7, and the other drive has just Vista. That was going to be just a backup disk once I transferred over everything to the new HDD, but maybe I'll boot Zorin off of it instead, and merge all the extra partitions to fat32 on this drive.

Sorry, I'm probably not making much sense since I don't really know what I'm talking about. Let me ask you this to simplify. If I were to do a clean install of Zorin on an unpartitioned 1TB HDD, how much should I allocate for Zorin, and how much for the OS's on the other HDD's? I only have 3 GIG's of RAM Memory. I still have no idea what I'm doing in Linux, and so far have had no luck with any Wine installation. (but I am learning)

And thank you again, madvinegar.

Thanks again.
Grody