This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Swap partition

shaficshafal

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47:37 pm

Am currently new to linux and all and i chose Zorin distro for i was told it's closest to windows os..
I have been using windows 7 and tried to install Zorin, i went to the option of other install where it's advanced to let me choose the partitions myself.
I passed thru hardships but i got it anyway, so i chose an empty partition to install the root (/), but reaching the swap partition,
i chose a partition with Data and my files thinking it wont be formatted. But after i installed it, i can't find my swap partition at all, even when i load Windows 7, the partition is not listed.
Is there a way i can get my partition back unchanged or i just lost it forever?
What if i uninstall zorin, will my partition come back? I can then prepare for an empty partition for swap and reinstall it.
I had four partitions and now i can only see 2 partitions when i load Windows?
Is there a way i can first get everything back to normal and then reinstall Zorin carefully?
sorry if i used bad English and i don't know if this problem should be posted here,
any help please

shaficshafal

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:38:45 pm

First of all thanx for the early replying, really thought i would get a reply in about 3 weeks.
I tried out what you told me with the data recovery tools, first i tried Recuva, from this link you provided https://www.piriform.com/recuva,
But using Recuva with windows 7, it did not display both the swap and boot partition Zorin is using so i could not attempt to recover lost data.
But after searching a lot i got across this easy good recovery tool and i tried it out, It WORKED really well, after installing it showed both the swap and boot partitions although it shows them as *Unknown but still you can differentiate them from the size displayed and i could tell the partition i used for swap, so i clicked it and tried to recover the files, it recovered all the files properly.

I nearly forgot, the recovery software i used is "easeus partition master".
It works well, you can get it from http://www.easeus.com/download.htm, their home site

Now am going to have to delete Zorin and prepare partitions properly and reinstall it without making any mistake

I don't know how to mark this as solved but you really helped and this is solved.
I successfully recovered my files using easeus partition master

shaficshafal

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08:30 pm

Actually after revisiting the site for the recovery tools,
I got to find out that they have all sorts of recovery and disk management packages.
so i had linked earlier to their home site where they advertise all of their packages which would lead to one choosing a wrong one.
So i decided to put up another link from xxxx.com .
so you can download the recovery tool directly from this site..[edited by moderator for security reasons!]

And thanx swarfendor437, ur really helpful

shaficshafal

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:35:27 pm

Sorry about that, in fact your right the only site i trust most is softpedia,
I din't know of sourceforge and filehippo as trusted sites, thanx for the iformation

I will be carefull the next time,
but are you a moderator, are you like an administrator?

shaficshafal

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:49:46 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Moderators can amend posts - if you want to mark your posts as [SOLVED] in future, just logon with your credentials, go to your OP and click on the edit button that should appear to the right and then just enter [SOLVED] in front of the original subject.

I am a moderator, not Admin - admins are dealt with by the Zorin brothers with zorink in charge of this site/forum.

just for clarity, sourceforge.net is for opensource software, you won't find a lot of commercial offerings there. Softpedia for all OS's is probably the best source of file collections and I always try to download from their own mirrors rather than third party ones - that goes for Utilities to. So for example if I wanted to download imgburn (a windows app) I would go to imgburn download section but choose the last mirror/server which is their own.

Thanx for the heads up, am more into Zorin than i was before..
And sourceforge is good, checked it out,
that remains is me getting deep into linux now, hope it wont be so hard..
some commands freak me out, pretty long ones..
But i will give it my ALL

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:45:34 pm

shaficshafal wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Moderators can amend posts - if you want to mark your posts as [SOLVED] in future, just logon with your credentials, go to your OP and click on the edit button that should appear to the right and then just enter [SOLVED] in front of the original subject.

I am a moderator, not Admin - admins are dealt with by the Zorin brothers with zorink in charge of this site/forum.

just for clarity, sourceforge.net is for opensource software, you won't find a lot of commercial offerings there. Softpedia for all OS's is probably the best source of file collections and I always try to download from their own mirrors rather than third party ones - that goes for Utilities to. So for example if I wanted to download imgburn (a windows app) I would go to imgburn download section but choose the last mirror/server which is their own.

Thanx for the heads up, am more into Zorin than i was before..
And sourceforge is good, checked it out,
that remains is me getting deep into linux now, hope it wont be so hard..
some commands freak me out, pretty long ones..
But i will give it my ALL

Actually, scrap the imgburn site - some people have been confused by it - download imgburn from https://ninite.com.