This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Intel® 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 on Zorin 6.1

zoringroup21

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51:51 am

Folks, first thank you for a great product.

Situation:

I am running Zorin on Toshiba Satelite A205 since 4.0 - never had graphics problems.

I formatted HD to get rid of useless Windows partition. Installed is 6.1 core.

Received a problem with display exactly as described here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=91341

The system becomes unmanageable on on 1280 resolution.

Is it possible, Intel® 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 driver was left out on Zorin 6.1 ?

I still have a situation, as directions to fix the issue is above my understanding of the system.

Kindly suggest.

Thank you!

:roll:

madvinegar

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:00:28 pm

Hi. Follow this guide and see if it works for you.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2072420

zoringroup21

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07:05 pm

I saw it, thank you. Directions of

"Step 1: On the PPA's overview page, look for the heading that reads Adding this PPA to your system. Make a note of the PPA's location, which looks like:

ppa:gwibber-daily/ppa

Step 2: Open a terminal and enter:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:user/ppa-name

Replace ppa:user/ppa-name with the PPA's location that you noted above."

It is not clear step-by step for me, a licensed windows beta-tester since 1993 and daily user of Zorin since 4.0...

Thank you.

madvinegar

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:59:00 pm

Ok. I will prepare an easy guide.
Open terminal and write one by one the following commands and then press <enter> after each one. To open terminal press ctrl+Alt+T. When asked for your password type it normally even if you don't see it being typed (this is a security feature) and press <enter>.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

Then, again in terminal write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

An empty file will open. Copy/paste inside this file the following lines:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
EndSection

Save, exit and reboot to see if the above helped.

zoringroup21

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:03:52 pm

madvinegar wrote:Ok. I will prepare an easy guide.
Open terminal and write one by one the following commands and then press <enter> after each one. To open terminal press ctrl+Alt+T. When asked for your password type it normally even if you don't see it being typed (this is a security feature) and press <enter>.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

Then, again in terminal write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

An empty file will open. Copy/paste inside this file the following lines:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
EndSection

Save, exit and reboot to see if the above helped.

Thank you for your kind help.

I did everything suggested two times. Enclosed file is terminal dialog, recorded on my second attempt.

After reboot and switch to 1280 reslution I can see for few seconds my background and than it all goes black, no icons. Opening any application, espesially browsers, I have the same picture. I can not even **** a window to monitor 2.

zoringroup21

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28:01 pm

This morning I put back 6.0 - Core - the problem remains.

madvinegar

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:07:10 am

Zorin 6.0, Zorin 6.1 and Zorin 6.2 are exactly the same, with the difference that Zorin 6.1 and 6.2 have the latest updates.
In other words, you may have installed Zorin 6.0 but if you do the daily upgdates, it will be converted to 6.2 automatically.
Zorin 6.1 and 6.2 were issued so as if someone wanted to install Zorin, he would have to download over 1GB of updates after installation. He installs directly 6.2 which comes with the latest updates.

My suggestion would be to install 6.2 (or run all the necessary updates on 6.0) as 6.2 comes with the updated kernel 3.5.0 which may help with the Intel card.

Also, now that you have re-installed the OS, open terminal and run these commands
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Reboot and see if it helped.

zoringroup21

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:32:51 am

madvinegar wrote:Zorin 6.0, Zorin 6.1 and Zorin 6.2 are exactly the same, with the difference that Zorin 6.1 and 6.2 have the latest updates.
In other words, you may have installed Zorin 6.0 but if you do the daily upgdates, it will be converted to 6.2 automatically.
Zorin 6.1 and 6.2 were issued so as if someone wanted to install Zorin, he would have to download over 1GB of updates after installation. He installs directly 6.2 which comes with the latest updates.

My suggestion would be to install 6.2 (or run all the necessary updates on 6.0) as 6.2 comes with the updated kernel 3.5.0 which may help with the Intel card.

Also, now that you have re-installed the OS, open terminal and run these commands
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Reboot and see if it helped.

Thank you, will try!

:o

zoringroup21

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:36:39 pm

Here is my dialog:

--------

lk@A205:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
[sudo] password for lk:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for lk:
You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
Updated versions of X.org drivers, libraries, etc. for Ubuntu.

This PPA is for stable upstream releases of X.org components. If you're looking for something even more bleeding-edge, please see the xorg-edgers PPA.

While Ubuntu does not "officially/formally" support these packages, if you discover problems when installing these debs please feel free to report bugs to launchpad. However, please make sure to clearly state that you are running packages from this PPA so we know the fixes need to come here.

If you are upgrading from one release to another with this PPA activated, please install the ppa-purge package and use it to downgrade everything in here beforehand. sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates will do it.

[Directions for packaging drivers can be seen at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/DriverBuilding]
More info: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpvyq1Ty/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpvyq1Ty/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key AF1CDFA9 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: /tmp/tmpvyq1Ty/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key AF1CDFA9: public key "Launchpad PPA for Ubuntu-X" imported
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
OK
lk@A205:~$

---------

Did not help, the same malfunction:

switching from 1024 to 1280 will change the resolution, I will see my green grass backgrounds, for a second, than it goes black, ALL icons are gone, opeing applications, browsers the system almost freezes, application dragged with trace of some 10 copies of the image moved.

zoringroup21

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:18:04 am

Folks!, anybody! Help! This my wife's laptop, she wants to go back to Windows....

madvinegar

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:10:14 am

There is something else we could try.
You could try updating to a newer kernel. Maybe this issue has been addressed and fixed in a newer kernel.
You are now running kernel 3.2.0 and I will tell you how to upgrade to kernel 3.5.0

Open terminal and run the following command

sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-quantal linux-headers-generic-lts-quantal

Wait for the installation to finish and then reboot. After reboot the newest kernel (3.5.0) will be automatically loaded.
See if that helped.