This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 6 on an Everex xt500t

THOMEYG

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:13:33 pm

I am having trouble installing on my laptop. I can run the live boot but when I try to install it. It crashed and said the hard disc may be bad. New HD and still won't install. any thoughts?

THOMEYG

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39:29 pm

I know all about what is written out there about this laptop. I have installed a new HD and still crashed. I can install windows just fine so why not Zorin.

THOMEYG

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26:32 pm

Ok Thank you I will try that. The processor is an AMD Turion 64x2. I thnk I tried Lite as well.

THOMEYG

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:00:25 pm

I tried the Solus OS and it locked up half way through install twice. Won't finish. Don't know waht is wrong. I think it is a computer issue. I either take it in/send it out and have it looked at or scrap it and start over.
Not sure yet. Thank you for your help. BTW I used Solus non PAE

THOMEYG

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:03:35 pm

swarfendor437. I apprciate all the help and suggestions I think I am done with this laptop though. I tried the Zorin 32 bit non PAE and still crashed out in installation. Don't know what the problem is. I think I may try and wipe the drive clean and see what happens. I can load Vista and Win 7 fine so I may just bite the bullet and pay for a product code if I really want to use the laptop. Otherwise I will let it sit or sell it off . I just don't understand why and can't get a clear answer any where. Searched for it loading on a Everex Xt5000t and found a post that the gentleman said ubuntu loadded fine so not real sure just frustrating. I even let a freind of mine who writes code for a living try and install and he had no luck. I turned him on to Zorin and he likes it. It loaded for his machine just fine.
Shrug may be the laptop and time to move on.
Thank you

Anonymous

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:22:57 am

This should have been included with your first post.
It makes it a bit more easy when knowing all of your hardware specs.

CPU AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core TL-50 @ 1600mhz per core
OS Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
RAM 1 GB of 533mhz DDR2 occupying a single slot, leaving 1 slot available
Display 17” WXGA+ 1440x900 Diamond Brite screen
Graphics Nvidia Geforce Go 7600 with 256MB DDR2 dedicated
Audio Realtek ALC885 High-Definition Audio Codec
Hard Drive 100GB (5400RPM) with a slot for a second hard drive also available
Optical Drive 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
I/O Ports

3 x USB
1 x DVI
1 x TV-out (S-video)
1 x Mic-in
1 x Headphone in
1 x Infrared – IrDA
1 x Modem – RJ-11
1 x RJ-45 LAN
1 x Express Card
1 x Firewire – 1394
4-in-1 Card Reader for SD, MMC, MS, and MS Pro

Communications

· 10/100/1000 Ethernet

· 802.11b/g
Dimensions/Weight

· 15.7” x 11.8” x 1.3 -1.6” (L x W x H)

· 8.45 lbs
Battery/Power · 6-cell, 2.5 – 3 hours

Is this your computer Yes or No !!!
If this is your computer, I know what the majority of your problem is just from looking at the specs.
If your computer can handle Windows Vista, it should have know problem handling Zoirin OS Core !!!!

THOMEYG

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:46:55 pm

Yes that is it with 2 exceptions.
New 320G HD
4 Gigs RAM

THOMEYG

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03:51 am

Ok I searched for the most up to date BIOS that I could find and I have that version 1.1E. So that is up to date. The setup shows the correct HD. I can install and run windows just fine just was being cheap and didn't want to pay for a key. I also found Zorin and liked it so I thought I would try it out first before donating. Datek1 if it is a problem with the spec of the machine then fine I will go for the win code. I didn't want to give up with out a fight.

Anonymous

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58:38 am

I can only narrow it down to one thing >> since you own an unique Notebook, we have to think a little different = Just the Opposite as normal installation processes !!!
What your going to have too do. > Make sure you go into bios and Reset = To Default settings !!!
And start thinking in the Nomodeset Boot Option..... Low minimum graphics mode for installation something of that nature.
The NVIDIA 7600 on board graphics in combination with the kernel is causing all your heart ache.
In plain words, I'm positive that is what your experiencing when trying to install Zorin OS the Normal Way. ( GNU/Linux version of Windows Blue Screen )
Swarfendor or Madvinegar are far better at explaining that sort of thing than myself !!!
Not to mention, I'm sort of in ( Burn Out Mode ) from all the testing over the weekend !!!
Good Luck > I'll check in on ya see what's up with your status after a little R & R !!!! :D

PS > The bios update can be left on the back burner with the fire off !!!