This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Multi Boot with multiple drives

ak1ovic

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:49:13 am

I

spavila

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:02:51 am

ak1ovic

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:31:45 pm

I

ak1ovic

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32:59 am

spavila

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:28:02 am

I suppose everyone will have various setups regarding Multi Boot with Multiple Drives. I am currently using Windows 7 and Zorin OS 6.2 as listed below:

sda = 80 GB SSD with Windows 7
sdb = 500 GB HDD with Windows 7 (for Games)
sdc = 500 GB DATA drive [ntfs] FILES created by Windows 7 from sda drive
sdd = 500 GB = 20 GB [ext 4] (Zorin OS 6.2) + 8 GB (Swap) + 472 GB [ntfs] files created by sdd drive and shared with Windows 7 sda drive

My computer boots up using Windows Boot Manager and I select between
Windows 7 - Main (SSD)
Windows 7 - Games (HDD)
Zorin OS 6 (HDD)

spavila

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:32:37 am

ak1ovic wrote:1 more update then im done.Thanks again for the links.I currently have Win7 on my 500gb drive and Zorin 6.2,Linux Mint 14 and Sabayon all accessable from Grub at startup on my 2tb drive with lots more room for playing with more distros but that will probably be it for now.I hope I can help someone sometime like you gentlemen helped me.

Hope you getting everything setup the way you want it and perhaps your brain got back some of its missing brain cells in the process (LOL).

I'll have to admit too that I may lose some brain cells from time to time, so I started taking notes to remind me.
http://jj89128notes.blogspot.com/

Anonymous

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47:27 am

ak1ovic have you ever opened a closet door and everything fell out onto the floor. If you have, then you can relate to what I'm trying to say. Your hard drive is like a closet, it can be organized to stack everything neatly with easy access or you can pack it tight with regret of ever having to open the door. I stress this to all my high clients all the way down to the gentle everyday customer. (KISS) > I still can remember the day my Electronic Engineering Professor stressed that word to me, and to this day I still believe in the word. ( Keep it Simple Stupid ) > It other words don't make anything more complicated than it has to be.

You have a Primary with Windows 7 = 500 GB. Leave it be.
You have a 2 TB Drive > fine and dandy, that doesn't mean you have to pack it full to the gill. Pick 4 of your favorite GNU/Linux Distro's and Utilize 250 GB X 4 = 1 TB.
A must have section/portion of the drive should be utilized with some sort of encryption as your vault for the irreplaceable. And last but not least the Misc. > Backup/Recovery part of the drive.
One thing you always remember, if it can be avoided never run GNU/Linux and Windows along side each other on the same physical drive. Always run GNU/Linux and Windows on separate drives.
You always have the one person that comes up and says, ( Quote ) :roll: I have my computer running dual boot on the same drive, but what they don't tell you about > is all the multiple re-installations they had to do when something went wrong. !!!.
A prime example !!!
500 GB + Windows
2 TB = 1 TB + 1 TB
1 TB = 4 X GNU/Linux Distro's
1 TB = Data encryption and Misc >> Recovery/Restore
Here's where ( KISS ) falls in. > F4 or F8 or F12 to select what drive to boot from as Windows 7 = Primary.
Pressing the F(__ ) depends on your Make/Model Computer.
Remembering to keep it simple will save you majors headaches in the long run !!!!

If your planning on Multiple GNU/Linux Distro's > = 6 or more on your machine, keep VmWare Workstation or something of that nature in mind !!!.

ak1ovic

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:43:49 pm

I

Anonymous

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:23:03 am

Here's something that is great to have around for more than one use !!!
Link : > http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/172
If needed > In case of an emergency, it can be converted to a External DVD drive ( Temp ) !!!

ak1ovic

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39:35 am

I

ak1ovic

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37:09 am

I

ak1ovic

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:11:13 am

I

Anonymous

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:47:02 am

ak1ovic wrote:I meant no offense.Im just a light hearted person and I did appreciate your post.Perhaps I will just be quiet for a month or two and see everyones temperament before I make enemies.

The forum is for members to correspond with facts > ideas > experiences in relation to Zorin OS. When I posted the idea with the VANTEC external hard drive. The idea behind it, as you can change at will anytime you please hard drives for what ever purpose. They work on USB 2 > USB 3 > E-SATA. With two screws removed in a matter of seconds one can convert the unit into a external DVD Burner/Reader Drive that can be used if one doesn't have a optical drive on the Netbook or if their optical drive fails on their Desktop/Notebook. All for as little > $ 35.00 to $75.00 which makes more sense than buying a 2TB external drive with it's limitations for $150.00 USD.

You can bet if and when, I ever post anything > what ever it maybe for > that I've done some serious research in the matter before it comes on the forum.

ak1ovic

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55:31 am

I

Anonymous

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55:40 am

ak1ovic wrote:I reiterate. I meant no offense.

Everyone knows now all the way down the line now !!!
Things were deleted for reasons in concern Google...Bing...Majestic ...Bots...
One can't say anything about themselves, without it being plastered 10 minutes later all over the web.

ak1ovic >> :D >>>> No Harm Done !!!!