This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing to USB Hard Disk

sugarat

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:39:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have just tried out ZorinOS on my laptop and am very impressed. It is a lovely distro.

Can someone advise the best way to install it to an external USB hard disk? I have an all-in-one PC with Windows 8 on it and I don't want to touch the Windows install, and instead run Zorin off the USB3 external disk.

How can I accomplish this? My Windows 8 installation is a UEFI booting setup, so I don't want to touch the MBR on my internal disk, and instead boot off the USB one by changing the boot sequence in the BIOS.

Many thanks!

EDIT:

See, I just ran the installer from the live environment, and installed ZorinOS onto the external disk /dev/sdd. When I attempt to boot from it though I am just getting a GRUB rescue prompt.

sugarat

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:04:24 pm

Thanks for your assistance. The whole reason I was wanting to run off external disk was because the first time I tried the live CD the graphics didn't quite initialise properly at 2560x1440, but on trying the disc another time it worked!

Now that I can see what the experience is like at the monitors native resolution I'm happy to use Zorin. I have more questions, but will leave that for another post.