This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Graphics Issue after install

jsboop

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:34:09 pm

I apologize for the post in the wrong section.
I don't have the specs for the machine I installed on unfortunately, as I'm at work. It is an emachines that was running windows xp pro. I ran the install direct from dvd I burned. Installed on 31 gig partition of the main hd, though I may just do a complete format and fresh install when I get home. The graphical problem shows up when logged in but not when at log in screen. It also does the same when booted up live from the dvd instead of the hd. If I get a chance to run by the house for lunch I'll get the system specs. I do know it's an integrated graphics on the motherboard but that's pretty much it for now.

Anonymous

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:00:05 pm

After installation from a ( Cold Start ) > Do the following below !!
When you log-in and the screen starts flickering, > power off > don't shutdown. Then cold start the computer again and update. When the computer updates, it will upgrade to the newest kernel = 3.2.0-39 kernel generic.
After doing a restart after updates, sometimes you have to power off again, and do another cold start. Then you should be good to go > Hopefully < !!
I never bothered figuring out why, but it works on the most part.

The newest kernel > 3.2.0-39 kernel generic has fixed most, but not all the issues !!!

jsboop

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:33:39 pm

Will this update happen automatically? Problem is I can't see to be able to start an update. Also this pc is connected to the internet via wireless to the router so it doesn't connect until after logged in.

Anonymous

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:39:45 pm

jsboop wrote:Will this update happen automatically? Problem is I can't see to be able to start an update. Also this pc is connected to the internet via wireless to the router so it doesn't connect until after logged in.

I will be around off and on all day. When you are at home in front of the computer with specs > log-in on the forum and we'll go from there.
Updates can be done from command line or update manager !!!

Wolfman

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:48:30 pm

Hi,

follow this guide about updating:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

If you have an Nvidia card, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

More or less complete post install guide for Zorin 6:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :)

jsboop

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:22:35 pm

Problem is I can't see anything well enough to navigate and do an update. It doesn't automatically update either due to being wireless. I'm currently working on setting up a virtual machine on my windows 7 desktop to walk myself through where to navigate to perform an update.

jsboop

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:16:39 pm

I was actually able to get it done after running a vm of zorin os on my windows 7 pc to walk myself through finding the correct places to click since I couldn't make out what was on the screen. Doing the updates didn't help, but the post about updating the nvidia drivers did. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get flash player installed and working so that I can let the kids have at it and see if they can use it effectively.

jsboop

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:07:24 pm

Everything I've tried to get flash working has failed. Chrome/firefox/opera... None of them work. Opera has shockwave flash crashing everytime and the other two just act like flash player isn't installed.

In chrome plugins:

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 11.2 r202
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
Name: Shockwave Flash
Version: 11.2 r202
Type: NPAPI
Disable
MIME types:
MIME type Description File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
.swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
.spl
Disable Always allowed

I've successfully applied the update methods outlined by those in this forum and also found via searches but no luck yet.

jsboop

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:33:50 am

I did try that, it said something about already being installed. Strange. I will be working on it more tomorrow. Everything appears to be installed correctly but it just crashes.

jsboop

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:37:09 pm

even after the latest chrome stable update flash won't work.. so frustrating

jsboop

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:58:56 am

I did try those also. Neither work. I'm thinking there's an issue with flash on my pc. Not sure how to go about removing it completely and reinstalling it, but I'll find out.

Wolfman

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:19:39 am

Hi,

I did point this out to you earlier in the thread but I didn't express the point about running "dpkg", open in recovery mode and select "Network" (only works with a network cable connected!) and when that is done, run "dpkg" and update fully and reboot by pressing "Ctrl+Alt+Del" (Don't use the resume command which is at the top of the list!!).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Once the update is complete and you have fully rebooted, open Synaptic and type flash, (the normal package name is "flashplugin-installer") look in the window for your installed "flash" package and right click it and mark for re-installation, also, right click and add the suggested and recommended packages which you will have to do; one at a time!!.

Hope it helps you further.

Regards Wolfman :)
Synaptic Package Manager _002.jpeg

jsboop

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28:43 pm

I had to give up after trying to get flash to work for several days. Then I started getting critical errors when trying to do updates. I have no doubt this OS is great if it can be set up correctly, however I don't have the time or energy to mess about with it just so the kids can use an older system. I appreciate your time and effort trying to help rectify the issue anyway.