This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Chip set recommendations

thonaker

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:26:51 am

If you were going to build Zorin OS machines, what chip sets would you use? AMD ATI? Graphics cards recommendations? I'm just wondering which ones would be the least problematic for use with Zorin. I would want the machines to be able to be gaming rigs as well, if needed. Thanks.

Anonymous

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:09:45 am

Quick and Easy

Cooler Master > Full Tower Chassis
ASUS > MoBo
AMD 6X Core Processor
Nvidia Geforce-210 or GT-240 > Stay away from Graphics Cards that have Optimum technology.
Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3d > Audio Card
450-650 Watt Power Supply
6 GB - 8 GB > RAM
This is for use with GNU/Linux or Windows > Dual Boot Gaming Machine > GNU/Linux/Windows... Never say Never !!!!
What is easy to obtain and low $$$$ in Europe is very $$$$ to deal with here in the United Sates!!!
This includes > Warranties and Customer Support !!!!
thonaker = United States > Hint...Hint :D

A Gaming Machine is not defined as having 2 GB Ram with Intel Inside > Intel Graphics/CPU.

thonaker

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00:38 pm

I appreciate the response. Do you mean Optimus? I'm just doing some reading, and I'm seeing some negative stuff on the Nvidia Optimus technology. I am happy to see Steam on Linux. I hope this moves forward, in making Linux a more desirable OS for a gamer. There are some good games out there for Linux, but, it was just lacking the mainstream pull, so you can play with friends, who have Windows machines. I have no interest in Windows 8, unless I am able to disable the silly metro thing on a desktop, which seems like, can be done quite easily. Counterintuitive, comes to mind, when I think of Windows 8. It's a shame you have to install software to get one of the most useful parts about Windows, the start menu. I was thinking along the lines of building and selling these things. Putting Zorin on the machine is a lot more affordable, than purchasing 8, and the environment is quite similar to Windows, and looks like something I can support easier. I've supported Windows machines the largest part of my career as a tech guy. Zorin eases my transition into Linux, as well.

Anonymous

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:21:44 pm

thonaker wrote:I appreciate the response. Do you mean Optimus? I'm just doing some reading, and I'm seeing some negative stuff on the Nvidia Optimus technology. I am happy to see Steam on Linux. I hope this moves forward, in making Linux a more desirable OS for a gamer. There are some good games out there for Linux, but, it was just lacking the mainstream pull, so you can play with friends, who have Windows machines. I have no interest in Windows 8, unless I am able to disable the silly metro thing on a desktop, which seems like, can be done quite easily. Counterintuitive, comes to mind, when I think of Windows 8. It's a shame you have to install software to get one of the most useful parts about Windows, the start menu. I was thinking along the lines of building and selling these things. Putting Zorin on the machine is a lot more affordable, than purchasing 8, and the environment is quite similar to Windows, and looks like something I can support easier. I've supported Windows machines the largest part of my career as a tech guy. Zorin eases my transition into Linux, as well.

You hit it right on the bulls eyes. those are the high $$$ Graphics Cards that are specifically designed for extreme graphics design and hard core gamers that are running Windows.