This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

installation help Zorin os core

Yatra

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:14:16 am

I need help installing Zorin OS 6.2 Core to Fujitsu i5 laptop windows 7, purchased August 2012. I downloaded Zorin OS 6.2 Core, standard desktop version of Zorin OS, from www.zorin-os.com. I burned Zorin download to DVD using ImgBurn, per Zorin instruction. I changed setting in F12 to boot from a DVD. With burned DVD in drive, I restarted computer and got the following message: "please put bootable CD/DVD. Any advice? Any simple instructions? I am not IT technical. Thanks, Yatra

Bill Thompson

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:24:37 am

Hi!

I am no expert, don't work for Zorin, and only got mine installed yesterday, but many here helped me with getting mine running, so while it is fresh in my mind I hope I can be of assistance and am sure one of them will correct me if I am wrong on any part of this too:

1. Burn the DVD on the slowest speed or it corrupts. Try that to see if this fixes your problem. The following are a few other pointers that helped me get installed....

2. When you get the cd to boot, choose "live mode" from the menu. Zorin will boot up and have an installer on the Desktop, use that to install. it will ask you for a user name, make sure not to use capital letters (it's a GNU/Linux thing). Additionally, an option will be given at the bottom of that pane to encrypt your home folder. Do not do this either and your install should go smoothly, mine did.

Zorin OS and Linux are great, and I'd suggest looking at these threads on the forums should you have any other problems, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4306, There is also the thread I posted with my install problems, those helping me gave me a lot of other advice too so you might want to read that first as it also explains (on page 2 middle to bottom) how to set up the partitions on the hard drive BEFORE YOU INSTALL to help keep your files from confusion with the system ones (something I didn't do as I didn't realize that was the purpose and just wanted to get Zorin installed to see how it is), viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4368.

I hope your install goes flawlessly from this point on, and that you enjoy Zorin too :)

Bill Thompson

Wolfman

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06:27 am

Yatra wrote:I need help installing Zorin OS 6.2 Core to Fujitsu i5 laptop windows 7, purchased August 2012. I downloaded Zorin OS 6.2 Core, standard desktop version of Zorin OS, from http://www.zorin-os.com. I burned Zorin download to DVD using ImgBurn, per Zorin instruction. I changed setting in F12 to boot from a DVD. With burned DVD in drive, I restarted computer and got the following message: "please put bootable CD/DVD. Any advice? Any simple instructions? I am not IT technical. Thanks, Yatra

Hi Yatra,

as Bill has already pointed out, did you burn the disk at the slowest speed?, if you didn't; you will get read/write errors like the one you are getting now!!.

Is your optical drive (CD/DVD drive) clean??.

Do you have a 32 bit PC and are trying to install a 64 bit version on it, if so, it won't work, you can however install a 32 bit system on an 64 bit which will work although with reduced RAM usage!!.

Try the disk on a different PC and see if it boots, that way you will know that the disk burn is okay and the problem lies with your optical drive!!.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :)

Anonymous

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:09:57 am

Bill Thompson wrote:Hi!

I am no expert, don't work for Zorin, and only got mine installed yesterday, but many here helped me with getting mine running, so while it is fresh in my mind I hope I can be of assistance and am sure one of them will correct me if I am wrong on any part of this too:

1. Burn the DVD on the slowest speed or it corrupts. Try that to see if this fixes your problem. The following are a few other pointers that helped me get installed....

2. When you get the cd to boot, choose "live mode" from the menu. Zorin will boot up and have an installer on the Desktop, use that to install. it will ask you for a user name, make sure not to use capital letters (it's a GNU/Linux thing). Additionally, an option will be given at the bottom of that pane to encrypt your home folder. Do not do this either and your install should go smoothly, mine did.

Zorin OS and Linux are great, and I'd suggest looking at these threads on the forums should you have any other problems, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4306, There is also the thread I posted with my install problems, those helping me gave me a lot of other advice too so you might want to read that first as it also explains (on page 2 middle to bottom) how to set up the partitions on the hard drive BEFORE YOU INSTALL to help keep your files from confusion with the system ones (something I didn't do as I didn't realize that was the purpose and just wanted to get Zorin installed to see how it is), viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4368.

I hope your install goes flawlessly from this point on, and that you enjoy Zorin too :)

Bill Thompson

Good for you Bill helping another member !!!!
:D :D

casper06067

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:52:31 pm

2. ........ Additionally, an option will be given at the bottom of that pane to encrypt your home folder. Do not do this either and your install should go smoothly, mine did.

Bill Thompson

Bill,

I installed Zorin OS 8, 32-bit today as a replacement for XP. The whole install went perfectly, however, I did encrypt my home folder. Now, I wish I hadn't. Is there an administrator option somewhere where I can eliminate the encryption and the passphrase? At the time I was installing Zorin, I figured that it might be essential for the installation, but now I realize that it wasn't. I'd also like to replace Chrome browser with Firefox, but the installation process is not all that clear to me. Any ideas on that as well?

Thanks,

-Casper

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:49:09 am

casper06067 wrote:

2. ........ Additionally, an option will be given at the bottom of that pane to encrypt your home folder. Do not do this either and your install should go smoothly, mine did.

Bill Thompson

Bill,

I installed Zorin OS 8, 32-bit today as a replacement for XP. The whole install went perfectly, however, I did encrypt my home folder. Now, I wish I hadn't. Is there an administrator option somewhere where I can eliminate the encryption and the passphrase? At the time I was installing Zorin, I figured that it might be essential for the installation, but now I realize that it wasn't. I'd also like to replace Chrome browser with Firefox, but the installation process is not all that clear to me. Any ideas on that as well?

Thanks,

-Casper

Hate to say this, but you may have to look at reinstalling! :(

But before you do, see if this guide helps:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/107410/c ... ome-folder

With regards to installing Firefox see my response here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6808#p32085