This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Installation Problems-Freezing

PolosElite23

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50:46 pm

Hello,

I'm relatively new to linux (I'm trying to replace XP on one of my PC's) and I'm not getting anywere with installation.

I have a Dell Dimensions 4600 with as follows:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4
RAM: 3GB
Graphics Card: Radeon X800
Two hard Drives: 100GB and 500GB respectively

I've tried multiple times to put on Zorin OS 6.2 Core (32bit) and Lite without success. I've checked the MD5 sums on both and they are not corrupt. The disks passed verification on Imgburn so i don't think that is the problem either.

On boot it boots into a screen with Live Boot, Live w/ Safe Graphics, Direct Install, ect. none of which have worked. I get past the screen into a screen with the zorin logo and a little loading circle. After a little bit of time the circle stops spinning, nothing happened after several hours of waiting. On other occasions it just kept rotating when it did this i left it overnight with no change in the morning.

No error codes, no nothing it just freezes. I'm unsure of how to proceed in installation of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you need more computer specs or information just ask.

Thanks for you're time,
PolosElite23

madvinegar

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:25:40 am

Try this.
When you get to the "options screen" press tab.
A command line will appear that will end in a phrase "quiet splash --"
Navigate to the end of this command line using the arrow keys and type the word "nomodeset" (without the quotes) before the "quiet splash --".

So it becomes like this
nomodeset quiet splash

Press ctrl+X to continue booting.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:58:00 am

Hi,

did you burn the disks at the slowest possible speed?, if you didn't; you will have problems like the ones you describe!!.

Regards Wolfman :)

PolosElite23

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55:50 pm

I'll try the slowest possible speed and see if that is the problem.

PolosElite23

Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:29:03 pm

Okay, I tried the slowest possible write speed and the other suggestion. Neither caused the installer or live boot to actually do anything. Same result. Any more ideas?

Anonymous

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:55:19 pm

The easiest thing that is always overlooked > Dirty > Dirty...Optical Drive !!!!

That is... if you physically made a good Zorin OS DVD on one computer and are trying to install Zorin OS on another that might be filthy with dust in the Optical Drive.

PolosElite23

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35:16 pm

Actually after a bit of screwing around I figured out that it was actually my wireless card screwing things up. It's up and runn

Wolfman

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:21:34 am

PolosElite23 wrote:Actually after a bit of screwing around I figured out that it was actually my wireless card screwing things up. It's up and runn

Hi,

great to hear its working, would you mind describing how you solved your problem so it may help others!.

I marked this thread as solved!!.

PolosElite23

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:51:29 pm

Wolfman wrote:
PolosElite23 wrote:Actually after a bit of screwing around I figured out that it was actually my wireless card screwing things up. It's up and runn

Hi,

great to hear its working, would you mind describing how you solved your problem so it may help others!.

I marked this thread as solved!!.

I just removed an aftermarket Wireless Card. To be specific it was an Azio AWD 154A Wireless PCI adapter. The card and its Drivers are not compatible with Linux (Tried several kernels with similar results). Instead I connected it with a wire and removed the card from the system. Works fine now with no problems. So if you have a wireless adapter in your CPU it may be wise to take it out for install.

anyway that's how it worked for me!
PolosElite23