This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 6 USB WILL NOT BOOT

kdw

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:34:02 am

Hello, I have been trying to install Zorin from a USB stick but it is not detected on startup. I have also tried Pear os and Fuduntu with the same problem. I have tried both universal USB installer and unetbootin but neither works. The only distro that is detected on start up is UBUNTU 20.10 when using UUI. I'm pretty much stumped. Any advice would be much appreciated.

HP Envy 6 Sleekbook.
AMD A6-4455M APU
8 GIG RAM.
Windows 8

madvinegar

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:17:11 pm

Have you changed your BIOS boot sequence to start from USB? This makes the change in the boot order permanent.
If you don't want something permanent, usually there is also a psecific button which you press during startup of your laptop/PC and shows you the boot order. In my laptop it is F12.
You press it repeatedly till you see the boot order, and then you select USB.

kdw

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:25:08 pm

Yes, everything is set correctly in the BIOS. Like I said, UBUNTU 12.10 is detected on start up but the other distro's don't seem to be working. After pressing f9 for Boot Device Options I get OS Boot Manager and Boot From EFI File. Under Boot From EFI File I can access the USB stick and the Zorin files but there is no option to install.

Anonymous

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:24:29 pm

datek1 wrote:Look Here : > viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4306

Read that section real good !!!

I think your problem is >

Labtop = Pull Battery/Power Adapter then making sure everything is dead.
Desktop = Pulling Power Cord.
That way you know for sure that the computer is off and not in hyper sleep.
It should instill without any problem after doing so.
You cannot install Zorin OS on a normal Windows 8 restart.
It has to be completely shutdown and not in hyper sleep.

kdw

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:51:25 pm

I read through that earlier. Not sure why UBUNTU 20.10 boots on restart and the other OS don't. I'll try removing the battery and let you know how I get on. However, it does mean taking the bottom of the sleekbook to gain access(bit of a pain)

kdw

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:16:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestion but still no luck. I removed the battery for a few minutes and tried booting again. Still nothing showing in the Boot Device Options.

Anonymous

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:23:06 pm

Just a reminder:
Zorin OS 6.2 Core and Lite that is downloaded from the official site ect. > Comes as a complete ISO_ file that doesn't need to be extracted to burn a DVD or make USB installer. If by any chance you have done so, the ISO will not work what so ever..when trying to do an installation. Some people download the Zorin OS ISO and think it's a ZIP_file, that's were the migraine comes into play. Now if were downloading the Zorin OS Premium donated version, that's a different story, for the Zorin OS Premium version does and is the only installation ISO file that comes in a (ZIP_Compressed_Format) > (Password Protected) in which can be described as Zorin Groups version of Microsoft having the Product Key in order to install the operating system on a computer. Once the zip_file is uncompressed with the password given via email from Zorin Group, you will then have the complete single ISO_file to burn to a DVD or Make USB installer.

Only one more thing to add - HP uses 'Esc' key for boot option!

kdw

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:37:04 pm

Thanks again, I understand it is a complete ISO and doesn't need extracting. I used UUI to create the USB installer with both core and light, but neither will boot. I have set the system to boot from USB and am aware that Esc then f9 brings me to the boot options but there is still no option listed. Using the exact same method with Ubuntu 20.10 ISO I created a successful Bootable USB which was detected without going to the Boot Device Options menu. I'm not sure what else to try.

Anonymous

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:13:04 am

This seems to be a non solved issue. Everything seems to be ok. but Zorin os. 6 do not boot from USB. The reasons still left not to boot from USB are that UUI or UNetbootin might not support that release of Zorin. Or there is some incompatibility to the used USB drive or computer. There might also be some error in the .iso file. These issues can be checked from the list of installer supported Linux releases or by trying to boot the USB in some other computer or using some other installer software to make the bootable USB Drive. The USB drive type can also be changed to something else if there is something that wont fit.

This is time and work consuming, but there might not be any other alternatives to solve what makes the USB not bootable.
I have used UUI with Zorin 8 Core and Ultimate releases successfully with laptop and desktop. No problems to boot.