This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot Install 6.2

Ben967

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:16:02 am

Hi;

I have tried to install Zorin 6.2 Ultimate for three days without any luck. What I have done:

1. Checked MD5, the downloaded file is OK.
2. Burned the ISO on the lowest setting (6x) available to me.

I get the first screen asking me to choose what I want to do. No matter what I choose (live, install) I get a light gray screen with the cursor blinking on the upper left side of the screen. No matter how long I wait, the screen remains with no action on the DVD light.

Any help is appreciated.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:14:45 am

Hi Ben and welcome to the forum,

did you try "Safe Graphics Mode" ?.

Did you try "nomodeset" ?:

See my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4495&p=21182#p21182

Let us know if it helps.

With Zorin Ultimate I found that the best option was to install directly but you should set "nomodeset" first!!.

Regards Wolfman :)

[Edited - 'e' missing out of 'nomodset' :D ]

Ben967

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:32:28 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I have tried "nomodeset" and "graphic" option, no help. My system is:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
Harddrive: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 (solid state drive) SATA III
Optical Drive: PLEXTOR BD-R PX-LB950SA
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 747MHz (11-11-11-28)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 305T
Operating System: Win 7 Pro 64 bit

I have been using Windows since Win 3.1 and have been trying Linux since then to get off Windows. However, every time I end up wasting days and going back to Windows. I heard a lot of good things about Zorin and how it could replace Windows. I have run the "core" in virtual machine for a few days and liked it, but no luck with real installation.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:09:05 am

Hi Ben,

have you tried a USB install??.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ ... on-windows

I had to use a 2nd DVD drive because I had problems with Zorin 6 Ultimate myself. (I have 2 optical drives on my PC!)

See if that will help. (USB install)

You shouls still select safe graphics mode even with a USB install.

For Nvidia drivers, see this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Ben967

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:30:44 am

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

But, I give up. I have spent five days trying every possible combination and nothing works. My main reason trying to convert to Linux is not the cost, it is the inherent security and privacy of Linux. I have no problem paying $150/year to have a Linux as easy as Windows to install and operate.

I wish a company would take on the task of coming up with a "paid" Linux distro that would help people like me. I do not think Linux would have much of a chance to be a mainstream product without making it easy for common people to install/use Linux.

For those that argue people who want to use computers should have some knowledge of how they work, I say that computers have become appliances. No one has the time or wish to know how a refrigerator, air conditioner...work in order to use them. They just want them to work in everyday life. :?

Wolfman

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10:59 am

Hi Ben,

did you try the DVD out on another PC??, might be worth trying as it may just be your optical needs cleaning or replacing!!.

You can also try a different version of Linux:

http://distrowatch.com/

Deacon

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:04:10 am

Ben967 wrote:Thanks everyone for trying to help.

But, I give up. I have spent five days trying every possible combination and nothing works. My main reason trying to convert to Linux is not the cost, it is the inherent security and privacy of Linux. I have no problem paying $150/year to have a Linux as easy as Windows to install and operate.

I wish a company would take on the task of coming up with a "paid" Linux distro that would help people like me. I do not think Linux would have much of a chance to be a mainstream product without making it easy for common people to install/use Linux.

For those that argue people who want to use computers should have some knowledge of how they work, I say that computers have become appliances. No one has the time or wish to know how a refrigerator, air conditioner...work in order to use them. They just want them to work in everyday life. :?

Try using Puppy on a USB- on a ridiculously low setting (like 640x480):
http://puppylinux.org/

Most of the time most of the popular distros (including secure ones like Debian) have a small set of configurables for the boot sequence and then everything is fine (mine never works at 1024x576-- so I choose a weaker alternate--if it doesn't recognize your video and ask for another one, look for it).... in other words go extremely conservative to start up. Try a low-res setup. If it works, you know that works for you and you can "move it up" as you install.

Don't give up. It's your computer. You own it, not the other way around. It will do what you tell it- but you must be persistent to start.

MAKE it do what you want. Because it will.

PS-- I'd bet a lot of us would help you personally for a few dollars in "the paypal", if money is not an object ;) But you know you can pay for support with Zorin OS, right? See here: http://zorin-os.com/premium.html

pmerrill

Sat May 11, 2013 11:20:13 pm

I'm experiencing the same problem. AMD Phenom II X4 chip, 4GB ram and 2 hard disks, no SSDs at all. The graphics card is an NVidia GT 610 and I think it's the graphics card at fault. I've tried from USB and DVD, same result as Ben

pmerrill

Sun May 12, 2013 12:50:09 am

Just a follow up. It was the Nvidia GT 610 card. What I did was removed the card, used the on board graphics, installed Zorin fine, then installed the current nvidia driver, powered down, put the GT 610 back in, rebooted and all fine.

There must be some problem with the 6.2 Live build and some Nvidia graphics cards. The 610 is relatively new, about a year old I think.

Wolfman

Sun May 12, 2013 6:34:22 am

Hi,

there isn't much if anything wrong with the Zorin 6.2 live build as far as Nvidia goes because I have an Nvidia card too and the only problem I had was with the white out but fixed it per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

If you use that PPA, things should be okay in terms of stability.

Regards Wolfman :D