This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trying to install Zorin on my Laptop, help pls

Bosshaug

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02:55 am

Hello Zorins :-)

Can anyone advise if I am doing something wrong when trying to install ZORIN 32 bit on my old Laptop.
I have an old Emachines Laptop.
Spec is: Intel Celeron, 350 gb harddisk, 2 gig ram, Win Vista 32

:I have downloaded latest Zorin OS from the Zorin site using Firefox.
:I have formated a USB stick SanDisk Cruizer 2gb as fat32.
:I have downloaded the UnetBootin to transfer the ISO file containing Zorin to the USB stick.
: On booting the Laptop i have used f12 to Select boot from the Cruizer USB stick.

Now..
once this done the pc screen goes dark for very long and there is almost no Activity... After about 10 minutes i give up and shut down the PC to try again..

Zorin doesnt seem to want to install. Can anyone see if im doing something wrong please?
I have heard of a corrupt file on the zorin download hence I have downloaded it severeal time just to make sure this is not the case.. :o

Thanks and pleased to hear.. :D

madvinegar

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:05:03 am

Just to see if the usb has a problem, could you also try to write the zorin image into a DVD and try booting from there?
You can use "image burn" from windows. http://www.imgburn.com/

Bosshaug

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:38:47 pm

madvinegar wrote:Just to see if the usb has a problem, could you also try to write the zorin image into a DVD and try booting from there?
You can use "image burn" from windows. http://www.imgburn.com/

Thanks Madvinegar..

Will try this also.. But I have tried booting from a normal cd installment. But heard that you should slow down the burning of the cd to lowest speed?
I will try again..
;-)

Bosshaug

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:40:27 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Bosshaug, and welcome to Zorin! Firstly, where did you download the image from? If it was from ibiblio.org, this can take a long time and sometimes there are issues. Have you tried downloading from any of the alternative locations? [I have had no issues downloading with Opera by the way! :D ]

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=4&t=1955

Hello Swarfendor..

I have downloaded from the Irish and Dutch link..
And via Firefox.. will just have to try again..
Thanks Your reply..

Brgds
B ;)

Bosshaug

Thu May 02, 2013 1:12:14 pm

Hello all..

Thanks for all Your replies but still wont download... that is.. I booted yday from the USB and got the options to install etc..
pressed enter and the screen goes black and th drive goes quiet.... After about 4-5 minutes i give up and turn the PC off. I then noticed something strange...
For a fracture of a second I could see the desktop with the Zorin background and a command Box. but then the pc shuts down.
Could this have something to do with a screen driver ??
Seems the program does in fact start to load but i cant see anything on the screen but the Zorin desctop is there behind the black screen..

Otheriwise would like to mention that there is nothing wrong with the screen prior to removing Win7..

Pleased to hear..
Thanks guys n gals..