This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 6.3 Core is Finally Out !!!!

Anonymous

Tue May 14, 2013 4:55:33 pm

The Zorin OS Team are pleased to announce the release of Zorin OS 6.3 Core, our operating system designed for Windows users. Zorin OS 6.3 builds on top of our popular previous release of Zorin OS 6.2 with newly updated software and a newer kernel out of the box. As Zorin OS 6.3 is based on Ubuntu 12.04 it is an LTS (Long Term Support) release, provided with software updates until April 2017.

Users who already have Zorin OS 6, 6.1 or 6.2 Core installed can update their system using the Update Manager to avail of the aforementioned updates and improvements in 6.3.

ATTENTION, THIS DOES NOT HAVE THE 3.5 X.X.X KERNEL, ONLY THE 3.2 X.X.X.

As stated above by Wolfman...Zorin OS 6.3 comes with the 3.2.0-41 kernel generic by which there is nothing to get excited over. So if you have a Zorin OS 6.2 Ultimate/Core working on your computer... leave well enough alone and use what you have.

Zorin OS 6.3 Core Link : http://www.zorin-os.com/free.html

By any chance if you goof things up and need a Windows 7 ISO to repair your recent installation.
Link : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4183

jeam

Thu May 16, 2013 3:54:49 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Just to add to datek1's recovery offer, you should also create a Windows 7 Repair Disc via Control Panel.

Please forgive my ignorance, but if one is using Zorin OS, how does it help to have a Windows 7 ISO or repair disc? Would that be for people who are dual-booting, or for some other case scenario?

Thanks!

Wolfman

Thu May 16, 2013 6:10:00 pm

jeam wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Just to add to datek1's recovery offer, you should also create a Windows 7 Repair Disc via Control Panel.

Please forgive my ignorance, but if one is using Zorin OS, how does it help to have a Windows 7 ISO or repair disc? Would that be for people who are dual-booting, or for some other case scenario?

Thanks!

It is for people who have both Windows and a version of Linux on their PC's, if Linux crashes you can recover the Windows partitions etc easily with a Windows recovery disk, or you might want to completely errase Linux and re-install Windows, without a recovery disk or the original disk, you are well and truly screwed!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

jeam

Thu May 16, 2013 7:28:19 pm

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Mangraviti

Sat May 18, 2013 10:15:33 pm

Unusable and unstable.
It is indeed a very promising project as not everyone likes Unity. Zorin seemed to be a good alternative to Ubuntu (or Debian, for that matter).
But the truth is that it doesn't work. If you're not an average-advanced user, Zorin is not for you.
The combination of Xorg and ATI makes the system a nightmare. Every time you update your Xorg, you can no longer access your desktop and you must reinstall the proprietary ATI drivers via command line.
Multi monitor support is ridiculously bad. I have two monitors (one of them is a 32" 1080p and the other one is a 20" 720p). For some reason, the OS installer sets the Grub2 resolution to 1920x1080 (the highest available on the second monitor) and you can't see your screen and select your OS unless you have the monitor with the highest definition on. Not to mention that the first boot will load a broken Xorg which will flash constantly to the point of giving me a headache and I needed to download the ATI driver via wget, unzip, chmod and install all via command line. I can certainly do this myself but my mum cannot. And she likes Linux (she's lucky I got her Ubuntu instead of Zorin). My sister wasn't that lucky and she calls me pretty much everyday to resolve issues she cannot understand.
Several applications crash out of nowhere. I get to see those dialogue boxes every few minutes and I need to select "do not report this issue".
It doesn't come with Firefox preinstalled. Why would anyone prefer Chrome over Firefox? Why would Zorin even consider adding software written by Google, the biggest rip-off company in the world, followed closely by Microsoft and Apple?
It comes with Compiz installed but.... The most annoying effects are pre-selected.
Overall rate? 4 out of 10.
Would I recommend it? Definetely no
Am I keeping it? No. I am redowloading Debian. At least Zorin is good for downloading other distros.
Gosh...

Wolfman

Sun May 19, 2013 7:56:15 am

Mangraviti wrote:Unusable and unstable.
It is indeed a very promising project as not everyone likes Unity. Zorin seemed to be a good alternative to Ubuntu (or Debian, for that matter).
But the truth is that it doesn't work. If you're not an average-advanced user, Zorin is not for you.
The combination of Xorg and ATI makes the system a nightmare. Every time you update your Xorg, you can no longer access your desktop and you must reinstall the proprietary ATI drivers via command line.
Multi monitor support is ridiculously bad. I have two monitors (one of them is a 32" 1080p and the other one is a 20" 720p). For some reason, the OS installer sets the Grub2 resolution to 1920x1080 (the highest available on the second monitor) and you can't see your screen and select your OS unless you have the monitor with the highest definition on. Not to mention that the first boot will load a broken Xorg which will flash constantly to the point of giving me a headache and I needed to download the ATI driver via wget, unzip, chmod and install all via command line. I can certainly do this myself but my mum cannot. And she likes Linux (she's lucky I got her Ubuntu instead of Zorin). My sister wasn't that lucky and she calls me pretty much everyday to resolve issues she cannot understand.
Several applications crash out of nowhere. I get to see those dialogue boxes every few minutes and I need to select "do not report this issue".
It doesn't come with Firefox preinstalled. Why would anyone prefer Chrome over Firefox? Why would Zorin even consider adding software written by Google, the biggest rip-off company in the world, followed closely by Microsoft and Apple?
It comes with Compiz installed but.... The most annoying effects are pre-selected.
Overall rate? 4 out of 10.
Would I recommend it? Definetely no
Am I keeping it? No. I am redowloading Debian. At least Zorin is good for downloading other distros.
Gosh...

Hi,

sorry to hear you are having so many problems, did you read through the update guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Often just running "DPKG" per the guide will sort out any problems with packages!!.

stevelewis1965

Sun May 19, 2013 9:38:24 pm

I recently ran the update manager, and everything seemed to update correctly. However, now my system locks up during bootup, so I can only boot into zorin successfully if I choose "previous linux versions" and pick the option that says zorin-linux 3.2.0-41. The latest version on my system shows as 3.2.0-43 and it appears not to work even after trying recovery, so how do I remove the 3.2.0-43 version? FYI I'm a newb/novice user, with very limited experience using commands in terminal. Would it be best to (backup first) reinstall zorin 6.2 core from the iso?

Wolfman

Wed May 22, 2013 5:03:11 pm

stevelewis1965 wrote:I recently ran the update manager, and everything seemed to update correctly. However, now my system locks up during bootup, so I can only boot into zorin successfully if I choose "previous linux versions" and pick the option that says zorin-linux 3.2.0-41. The latest version on my system shows as 3.2.0-43 and it appears not to work even after trying recovery, so how do I remove the 3.2.0-43 version? FYI I'm a newb/novice user, with very limited experience using commands in terminal. Would it be best to (backup first) reinstall zorin 6.2 core from the iso?

Hi,

before trying Swarf's suggestion, try updating using the recovery menu option "DPKG", see this guide, you need a cable connection and also activate network first before starting the updates:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247