This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install Ultimate from USB?

Jim The Tyreman

Tue May 21, 2013 4:09:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I've got my "Ultimate" on disc, but it didn't work on my laptop (See Flickering screen, resolved), ive now got a Lenovo T400 with 2 hard drives, one where the optical drive was!

How do i create a bootable USB with my ultimate disc? I'll be using another laptop running Zorin core OS 6 or I've got a desktop at work with XP!

I've got Unetbootin but i don't know what to copy?

Idiots guide anyone? :D

Wolfman

Wed May 22, 2013 5:00:24 pm

Hi,

I used/installed Zorin 6 Utlimate on a USB stick using Unetbootin no problem!!. (Did you use the Windows version of Unetbootin??)

Regards Wolfman :D

Jim The Tyreman

Wed May 22, 2013 9:26:01 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

I used/installed Zorin 6 Utlimate on a USB stick using Unetbootin no problem!!. (Did you use the Windows version of Unetbootin??)

Hi Wolfman,

Could you do a step by step guide for me? As I'm not sure what and or how to copy from the disc to the USB and in what order?

Thanks, Jim.

Wolfman

Thu May 23, 2013 6:00:55 am

Hi Jim,

Step 1: download the ISO file from "X" and save to your prefered folder.

2: install the app "Unetbootin", for Windows/Linux/Mac users:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

3: read the instructions for the various forms of OS'es from the above but basically; insert a USB stick that has enough space on it and is pre-formatted to the FAT32 file system, the stick must also be mounted!!, open Unetbootin and then look down near the bottom where it says "ISO", then click where it states "Diskimage" then go over to the little box over on the right where there are 3 little dots and select it and point to where your ISO file is located, the window at the bottom which states "Drive," should read something like "sdc1" indicating it is a USB drive, then click on OK and once it is finished; restart your PC so it boots from a USB stick. Thats it!!.

Let us know if this helps.

Jim The Tyreman

Thu May 23, 2013 4:37:01 pm

I've got the Ultimate DVD, but I don't know what to copy to the USB.

I've downloaded iso's before and installed from USB but on this occasion I've paid for a DVD/CD install disc but Don't have an optical drive on the Laptop I want to install it on, so I need to "copy" it to my USB.

Does that make sense?

Wolfman

Thu May 23, 2013 6:19:34 pm

Hi Jim,

I should have thought about it, you must first "Extract" the ISO from the downloaded zipped file, if you are under Windows, any zip app will do, if you don't have a "Zip" app, go here ( http://download.cnet.com/PeaZip/3000-22 ... 02256.html ) and download "Peazip Free", install Peazip and then right click the ISO and extract it, you will be asked for the password which you should have got via an Email.

Then follow the instructions using Unetbootin as above, you cannot simply copy an ISO file if you want a working OS, it must be extracted using an app like Unet and installed to a USB stick!!.

I don't know how to make a disk into a USB stick sorry, you should still have the ISO right?????.

Hope this helps you further.

Pierre

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:02:06 pm

as a rule, a newbie probably 1stly burn the ISO to a DvD,
& try the O/S from there.
- later on, try using unetbootin to to a usb stick.
- sometimes, that's a little easier ..