This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

6.3 installation issue on VMWare

Broni

Fri May 31, 2013 6:05:12 pm

Hi..
I'm trying to install 6.3 version on VMWare virtual partition.
Windows 8 is the host if it matters.

Everything goes fine until this screen:

"Continue" button is greyed out and I can't do anything else.

Any thoughts?

Broni

Fri May 31, 2013 10:46:42 pm

Changing letter didn't work.
Same issue.

Broni

Fri May 31, 2013 11:41:00 pm

Not yet.
I installed all kind of OSes on virtual partition using VMWare and never had any problem.
I'll keep trying.

Anonymous

Fri May 31, 2013 11:41:45 pm

Broni check back in an hour or so and I'll tell you what needs to be done. I have Windows 8.1 along with VMware Workstation 9... so I can walk myself through your situation.

Broni

Fri May 31, 2013 11:44:19 pm

Thank you :)
I'm subscribed to this topic so if you post back I'll know.

Anonymous

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:33:59 am

I have a power house and had no trouble what so ever installing Zorin OS. All I can say is play with the display settings ...> on the top where it says ( VM ) before running the installation. Try to keep the installation resolution to a minimum and that should solve the wacky screen texture.

Broni

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:58:52 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "wacky screen texture". I erased my name, username etc. if this is what you see as "wacky screen texture".
I can't pass a step I listed in my 1st post.
"Continue" button is greyed out.

Anonymous

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:35:06 am

Broni wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "wacky screen texture". I erased my name, username etc. if this is what you see as "wacky screen texture".
I can't pass a step I listed in my 1st post.
"Continue" button is greyed out.

All I can say there is type in the info where required and use ( Enter ) to see if you can get past that hurdle your running into !!!!

Wolfman

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:53:24 am

Hi,

as Swarf has already asked; are you trying to use an upper case user name, on the 2nd line, it must only be lower case, the top line can/should be; upper case!.

e.g:

1st line: Wolfman

2nd line: wolfman

Regards Wolfman

Anonymous

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:10:49 pm

Broni wrote:Hi..
I'm trying to install 6.3 version on VMWare virtual partition.
Windows 8 is the host if it matters.

Everything goes fine until this screen:

"Continue" button is greyed out and I can't do anything else.

Any thoughts?

I always thought the (Green Check Marks ) beside each line were an indication things were correct !!!!

Broni

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:28:32 pm

I put all required info and "Enter" doesn't do anything.

Broni

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:17:36 pm

VMWare 9.0.2

Windows 8 64-bit

HP h8-1414 Envy
AMD Six-Core FX-6120
10GB of RAM
1TB Hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 7450 (1GB)

Thanks for helping :)

BTW I've been thinking...
I've been trying to install 64-bit Zorin.
I'll try to give 32-bit a whirl.

Broni

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:04:10 pm

I don't have any blur issue.
Once more those blurs happened when I was erasing my personal info from a screenshot.
On installation screen I can see and enter everything just fine.

ak1ovic

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:23:25 pm

This may be stupid question but did you enter a password during install? The install may not continue if nothing is put in the password fields.

madvinegar

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:08:31 am

If all things fail, try Virtual Box.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05:38 am

Broni wrote:I don't have any blur issue.
Once more those blurs happened when I was erasing my personal info from a screenshot.

Hi Broni,

one further question, did you do a disk install and did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Regards Wolfman :D

DanYHKim

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:27:33 am

Do you have another computer, possibly with Windows 7 instead of 8?
Try creating your VM on a different computer. The VMware virtual machine consists of a set of *.vm* files, including the *.vmx file that contains the configuration information in plain text, the *.vmdk files that have the disk image and a few other file types. These should all be living in a single directory.

After creating the VM and installing the OS, copy the folder and its contents to your Windows 8 computer. I have an external USB drive for doing this. Since ZorinOS does not take up a lot of space, even if you define the VM as having a, for instance, 100 GB hard drive, only the 'occupied' space on the drive will contribute to the size of the VMware files, so it should be a pretty reasonable size.

Locate the virtual machine's files someplace that makes sense on your Windows 8 machine, then double click its *.vmx file. If VMware Player is installed, it should be associated with this file type, and so should launch the virtual machine. When the VM boots up, it will complain a bit. VMware will probably ask you if you moved or copied the virtual machine (I usually say that I copied it). It may also say that it can't find the hard disk image (.vmdk) file. You should opt to 'browse' to the virtual machine's directory and click on the .vmdk file that defines your virtual disk image. The VM should now work just fine, and will also show up in the list of available VMs in the VMware Player application window.

In some ways I'm guessing. This has worked for me using VMware Player on Windows XP and Windows 7 hosts, as well as on Ubuntu and Zorin-OS hosts. Windows 8 is, unfortunately, a total b**** to work with. Between the strange BIOS thingy that it uses, and who knows what else, Windows 8 machines take a bit of work to play with. Still, one of the things I really like about VMware is that its virtual machine files are easy to move around and modify. I typically create VMware "base" machines that consist of the OS, updates and some common applications, then store the files in compressed archives. I can then unpack a machine at any time on a host, edit the .vmx file to change the machine name and maybe tweak a few other settings, and use it without having to create a new VM from scratch. I've not been able to do this using VirtualBox, although I've not seriously looked into it.

DanYHKim

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:29:35 am

Wolfman wrote:
Broni wrote:I don't have any blur issue.

Hi Broni,

one further question, did you do a disk install and did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Regards Wolfman :D

Typically, a VMware machine has its OS installed from the .iso file itself, without need for a burned optical disk. This shouldn't be an issue here, I think.