This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

install on old Dell

bassfisher6522

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06:12 am

I'm trying to install Zorin lite 6.2 on an old Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. I can get it to boot from the live DVD I made, but it's just to slow. I click on the start button any thing else for that matter takes about 5 minutes for it to load up. I did manage to plug in a usb wireless dongle and finally have internet access but the chrome browser wont load up to access the internet. Would greatly appreciate any help.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:20:36 am

Hi,

boot the PC with the disk in and as soon as you see the main Zorin menu, hit the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" and press enter, the other option is to try booting from the 2nd option "Safe Mode" which won't tear into your systems memory!!.

Depending on how much memory your PC has will depend on how fast the PC will run in live mode!!. It is running from RAM!.

Let us know what happens.

Regards Wolfman :D

bassfisher6522

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:08:29 pm

Damn...I wish I had seen your response earlier. I've been fighting this all night...finally had to give up and go to bed with only 3 hours sleep, back at it again. Seems to be finally installing...now it's installed and checking updates....c***, another 2 hours waiting on the updates to finish.

Question: How do I get it to install/use the windows drivers, especially the wifi driver. Right now I'm using a USB dongle.

madvinegar

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:49:06 pm

Post here the result of the following commands to check what wireless card you have and establish what driver you need.

lspci -nn | grep 0280
lsusb
lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

Wolfman

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:56:39 am

Hi,

further to MV's suggestion, you can also look in > Sytem Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers and see if your drivers are available there!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:06:14 pm

I need the result of

lspci -nn | grep 0280

to check the ID of the wireless card.

Pierre

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:31:13 am

that link to the dell-inspiron-22 is dead. ..

anyway, most modern Linux O/Ss now need at least 512Mb ram,
& really should be be running a 2Gb cpu & 1Gb ram, to have a decent system ..

otherwise, it's a lite O/S, such as anti-X or similar .. ..
antix.mepis.org