This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Which Version Would Be Best For Me?

Lode

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45:31 pm

Hi everyone! This is my first visit and post here.

I'm and ex-Windows xp user, and since 2 years Windows 7. I don't know Linux from Ubuntu, nor Zorin OS 7 from Zorin OS 6 (LTS). But I understand Zorin is faster -more direct- than Windows, reason I would like to give Zorin a try.

Below what I currently have on Windows 7 that I don't know if they will work or not in Zorin (I won't mention things I've already understood work on Zorin):

Opera including the integrated Mail client ran in Sandboxie. IE9.
Sandboxie.
Online Armor firewall.
Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Hitman Pro. (But I understand one doesn't need AV for Zorin. [Although a firewall is included in Zorin.] Is that right?)
I use Skype with the Logitec c615 HD webcam.
MailWasher (to report spam to SpamCop).
Ad Muncher.
WiseCleaner 365.
SpeedFan 4.49.
Battery Monitor 1.1.17.

I only surf, write e-mails, and skype on the Internet. And I write texts. That's all. So I need only the most basic OS I guess. Any recommendation?

PS: I understand I can run Zorin next to Windows 7. I would like to try that before maybe dropping 7 all together... ;)

Lode

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:58:20 pm

Thank you.
I'm using one of those gadgets that props up your notebook in an angle and has a fan in it, so together with the notebook fan the cores temps fluctuate between 26 (after reboot, idle) to 50 Celsius. That's when the notebook fan turns on (it's 42 right now, so only the external fan is running) and up to 60 sometimes. I can see that on the free SpeedFan.

(The temperature dropped by at least 10 Celsius since I put the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner on the notebook fan grit a few days ago.) 8-) I guess it looked like on these pictures inside (scroll down a bit) http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =c01657439

It's an HP G62 64 bits.

So do I understand it well that only the 6 Ligt will be around for another 4 years? As I said, I'm a basic user only. Never play games for example. The most intense is watching a video in HD.

About the other versions, does that mean that after the mentioned time periods there are no more updates, but one can still use them?

Oops, I just saw that Light comes only in a 32 bits version. So I that won't work on my 64 bits machine, right?

Lode

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:47:40 pm

Thank you for your kindness and explanations, even though most of it is Greek to me.

I see that I would need to burn the program I would choose on a CD or DVD. For which I would need to install a burner first I understand... and I get the impression there is no 64 bits version good for at least some years of use. But -again- what was meant is only that after that time mentioned no more updates for it will come, but that one can still use it?

I'm thinking of just continuing only using my Windows 7 for now. Maybe when it's time to buy a new notebook I'll check Zorin out again, as I found out that in my country notebooks are made and offered without Windows and with an OS installed at one's choice:
http://www.bto.eu/html/list.asp?q=12

Lode

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:56:49 pm

Thank you for the new info. That makes it much more attractive to me.

1. Will I be shown a choice which OS I want to use after every reboot?
2. And could I just use the system image I have now of Windows 7 on an external hard drive to restore my notebook to how it was before I installed Zorin 6?
(Come to think of it, I suppose I could just remove Zorin 6 for that.)
3. Or -in case I want to keep Sorin 6- could I make a new system image of Windows 7 and Zorin 6 -my whole hard disk- using the Windows 7 system image program for that? Or would that only work for making backups of Windows?

Sorry for asking so many questions. But once I know, it will be for life.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:07:25 pm

Hi,

before you attempt to install any version of Linux you should create a recovery disk set for your PC, there should be either a recovery disk set that came with your PC or there might be an application listed in the Windows software apps list with which you can create one!!.

If you want long term support, then install Zorin 6 as that is an LTS version of Zorin, Zorin 7 is only supported until Jan 2014 and you would need to install again, you can keep your data though if you follow this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Regards Wolfman :D