This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Windows 8 Will Not Run Live Disc

Xstitcher

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26:48 pm

Hello

I I have a shiny new laptop with windows 8 on it which I have tried to tame with "classic shell" but I still hate it. I want to try Zorin.

I down loaded Zorin 6.3 64 bit ran MD5sum and burnt the ISO using Cyber2Go at 2x and verified it. The disc runs fine on my husbands windows 7 machine.

I did some research and concluded we needed to switch off secure boot and set the boot sequence to do DVD first.

We did this and restarted with the Zorin disc in, the disc made a few noises and windows opened.

We tried shutting off then starting again, still windows.

I read somewhere in the forum that windows 8 hypersleeps???? So we removed the battery for a few minutes and then tried again. Still windows.

How on earth do you make it run? :?:

The machine is a Compaq Presario CQ58 Intel Celeron B830 BIOS:Insyde F.37
Windows 8 is build 9200

Margaret & Pete :?

Xstitcher

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:39:19 pm

I did do a 64 bit version. I wanted 6 as it is a long term support version. I have never used Linux and got the impression 7 was for accomplished linux folks not daft newbies. I also look at the Elder Geeks forum and a suggestion there was to disable "fast start up" which I have done but the disc still won't run. It loads windows 8 regardless.

Margaret

Xstitcher

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59:15 am

Hello Swarfendor437

I have read the article and understand some of it. I bought the wrong laptop didn't I. I don't think this kind of thing is for newbies is it. I assume I need to try and return the blasted thing and get a windows 7 one, or are all new laptops made like this now?

Margaret ( very disheartened)

Wolfman

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15:29 am

Hi Magaret,

see "Disabling SecureBoot in the BIOS" here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI#SecureBoot

(It is the same page as provided by Datek1 and I am just pointing you to the right section of the page!!)

Depending on your BIOS setup, you might have to press "F2" or "Del" or maybe another key, there is a quick info page directly shown when booting your PC, press the "Pause" button to stop the PC from loading so you can read it, press "Enter" to continue or press the correct key to enter BIOS.

Regards Wolfman :D

Xstitcher

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:27:48 am

Hello Wolfman

We have disabled secure boot and also cleared the "secure boot keys" thing underneath. Was that right? We also stopped "FastStartUp" I am not sure if that was needed or not? F10 seems to get to the BIOS and F9 gets to the boot options. My husband Pete has managed to get the live disc to run by using F9 and selecting DVD as boot. This works!!!! Apart form it not finding any WiFi signals. This is a bit worrying as our Devolo WiFi homeplug is about three feet away. Any suggestions for sorting that out?
I am writing this on Pete's windows 7 machine using Mint. I intend putting Zorin on when I have read a bit more about partitions and decided what sizes to go for. How do I remove Mint? Do I delete it's partition or reuse it? As you can tell I haven't read enough yet!

I think we will swap machines and I will use the older windows 7 one as it seems impossible to totally remove 8 from a Presario CQ58. And if I never see Windows 8 again it will suit me fine, the charms bar's constant appearances was enough to increase my already high blood pressure to exploding point.

Cheers Margaret & Pete

madvinegar

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:49:58 am

Xstitcher wrote:Apart form it not finding any WiFi signals. This is a bit worrying as our Devolo WiFi homeplug is about three feet away. Any suggestions for sorting that out?

When you boot into Zorin open terminal (ctrl+Alt+T) and post back the result of the following terminal commands:

Code:
lspci -nn | grep 0280
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

I need to see the ID of your wireless card so as to establish what firmware you need to get it working.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:28:31 am

hi,

if you don't want Win8, erase it completely and all its partitions using "Gparted" and install Win7 first, then install Linux, take a look at the partitioning guide for further info, read it through slowly as there are a few different scenarios listed!!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

REMEMBER TO CREATE BACKUP DISKS OF THE WIN8 RECOVERY SET IF YOU DON'T HAVE A RECOVERY CD SET THAT WAS DELIVERED WITH THE PC, IN CASE YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND AND WANT TO INSTALL WIN8 AGAIN!. (There should be a tool somewhere on the Win8 OS to create such disks if they were not already there, you will most likely need up to 3 DVD disks!!)

Xstitcher

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42:57 pm

Hello Madvinegar

We tried your suggestion but got "command not found". I assume this is because we are still using the live disc not the real thing. I have looked in the "Belarc" printout I did and it says the wireless is a Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter. Is that any help? :?:

Hello Wolfman

Pete says he is going to try Windows 8 so we will live with it for the moment. ;)

Hello Swarfendor

Thank you for the idiots partition guide. I will read it several times and decide on sizes. We need a current back up of all Pete's stuff up first though as the windows 7 machine has all his music and pictures on it, and he is bound to have added something since his last backup. :D

Hello Datek

A very different view on 8.1 than I have seen else where. The impression I got was it couldn't speak the Queen's English and trashed your anti virus. We await developments with interest. :?

madvinegar

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:44:53 pm

The commands I posted are 4 different commands.
You copy and paste each one and press <enter> after each one. (and post here the result you get from each command.

Xstitcher

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:49:03 pm

Todays report form the madhouse.

I have installed Zorin on the windows 7 machine after following your instructions Swarfendor, the only problem I had was it would not let me make / a primary. I looked on youtube (on the trusty old XP desktop) and eventually found a video showing the exact problem I had. It said the partition was unusable, so the video guy made it a logical partition. That is what I had to do to complete the partitioning. Is this a problem?
I did the "Recovery Mode" boot Wolfman and it all seems OK.
I have received and sent e-mails, mostly concerning returning the windows8 thing to Amazon. Pete tried with it but now believes my moans, it will only see a network "sometimes" and it has definitely fallen out with the printer as it steadfastly refuses to see that. He even reloaded windows 8 and started afresh to see no networks. It is absolute c***!
I have put Firefox on the Zorin machine as I have tried Chrome but don't like it as much. I have put my profiles on for both Firefox and Thunderbird but they only seem to have partly worked. Thunderbird has no folders or previous emails and Firefox has no Trusteer and NoScript has lost all its accepted scripts. I cut and pasted the profiles in after calling the default ones "oldxxxxxxx" and renaming my defaults to what the "old" ones were. Was this wrong way to do this? (It worked for Mint)
I also looked at your preferences for Zorin Wolfman and tried dragging stuff like "terminal" but clearly need a mouse to achieve this I will try tomorrow.
I have accessed both of our networks (we have a homeplug network as well as our house is a weird shape) and have printed a test sheet with no problem.
So mostly a success thanks to your help.
Cheers Margaret & a sad Pete as he has no laptop now. I'll let him share till we decide what to replace the "thing "with.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13:46 am

Hi M & P,

I have marked this as solved, I hope that that is okay?.

All other questions relating to post install should be posted in the help & support section please!.